PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Antarctic lake to be probed....

BANDERSNATCH
10-11-2011, 11:21 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/10/11/journey-to-antarctica-mission-to-drill-into-ice-buried-lake/?test=faces

This mission will hopefully yield new knowledge about the evolution of life on Earth and other planets... :rofl:

Did I miss something? Has life been discovered on other planets?

Still, I'm anxious to see what they pull up from that ancient lake. Should be interesting.....

stringmusic
10-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Will definitely be interesting, however, they wont find anything that proves evolution or God doesn't exist like so many would hope or think.

BANDERSNATCH
10-11-2011, 12:36 PM
don't jump the string, Sting! lol who knows....they may find evidence of these 'proto cells' that, if evolution is true, had to have existed.

2 miles of ice! that's a lot! Have any of you ever read about those WWII planes (or WWI, can't remember) that were buried in ice? It was amazing how much ice covered these planes in a short, known amount of time. I'll have to dig that up. (no pun intended) :)

BANDERSNATCH
10-11-2011, 02:12 PM
article about buried WWII planes. 260 feet of ice covered them in 'only' 50 years.

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/08/04/us/world-war-ii-planes-found-in-greenland-in-ice-260-feet-deep.html

bigreddwon
10-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Ive heard about mammoth meat that was preserved so well it could be thawed out , cooked and eaten. Don't know how true it was.

Nicodemus
10-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Ive heard about mammoth meat that was preserved so well it could be thawed out , cooked and eaten. Don't know how true it was.

True, a good many have been found frozen intact, and it has been sampled by a few, but I doubt if it was really good to eat, so to speak. Folks tend to think mammoths are found frozen and encased in a block of ice, all clean and slicked up. In reality, most are found frozen in mud, and look purty bad. Think of a long haired hog, flash frozen in a mudhole, and you`ll be close. :D

bigreddwon
10-11-2011, 06:46 PM
True, a good many have been found frozen intact, and it has been sampled by a few, but I doubt if it was really good to eat, so to speak. Folks tend to think mammoths are found frozen and encased in a block of ice, all clean and slicked up. In reality, most are found frozen in mud, and look purty bad. Think of a long haired hog, flash frozen in a mudhole, and you`ll be close. :D

Is it normal that I'm hungry now?

:biggrin3:

Six million dollar ham
10-11-2011, 11:57 PM
I didn't know there's a Southern Ocean. Good to know.

StriperAddict
10-12-2011, 12:25 AM
Is it normal that I'm hungry now?

:biggrin3:

Yeah, that's for sure. I was getting hopeful until Nic's post :D !