Two BK14 sheaths

cb3725

I've had a bit of time on my hands recently and have been having a good ole time learning leatherwork these past couples months. Now my leather is still not professional looking - my edgework in particular is still pretty rough.

Since I am working on some hybrid designs incorporating both kydex and leather, I've been trying my hand at kydex as well. I definitely favor the look of leather, but man I know why folks sell kydex more. It's a lot cheaper and easier to crank out a decent looking kydex.

A hybrid with kydex liner:
DSC06789b.JPG

DSC06792b.JPG

Kydex with just a leather belt loop:
DSC06819b.JPG

Razor Blade

I think your sheaths look awesome. I have had people ask for them a couple times before with the kydex lined leather also. They like the leather look , but the stiff kydex . Scott

John I. Shore

They look just fine, first time I have seen the leather and kydex combo. As far as edges are concerned, I use a belt grinder then trim the leather, then burnish the edge with a oak wheel dressed with wax, I have a small wheel with a groove in it to do the belt loop area that gives the leather that rounded, burnished look.

Good work.

John I
Messermacher

sharpeblades

I do my edges on the grinder then flip the belt over on its back side to burnish the edges

John I. Shore

I do my edges on the grinder then flip the belt over on its back side to burnish the edges

Great Idea, never thought of that. Though I have used an old worn out 400 grit on a few before going to the wheel with wax. Do you wax the back of the belt, or put wax on the sheath?

I'll have to try that.

John I.
Messermacher

cb3725

Huh, good idea. I'll have to try that once I get a couple of power tools. I've been trying to do everything by hand, but those edges are giving me trouble so I've been pondering getting a power tool - either a small belt sander or small grinder. Either would be handy for a lot of my projects anyway.