Swamp Hunting for Doe

BowArrow

For some reason I have always liked hunting swamps in the water and mud. I am a full time bowhunter and clear cuts or food plots don't interest me as they usaully call for a long shot.

Last week my best stands along a creek in Candler Co. were flooded because of recent rains. I went to one of the stands this morning and the water level had dropped enough to get to my stand although it was water and mud all the way to my stand on the creek bank. The view was beautiful this morning. At first it was the moon reflecting off of the water in the hardwood bottom. As the sun came up, I begain to see ripples on the water as wood ducks began to parade all around my stand.

At 7:45 am I looked to my right and two doe were standing by the creek at fifteen yards. I had arrowed two eight pointers in Oct. and was looking for does. Deer at fifteen yards might sound like a sure thing but if you are bowhunting you have several problems before filling out your tag. I was sitting and had to stand, draw and aim before they passed. I attached my release and waited until they decided everything was ok and crossed in front of my stand. I stood and drew at the same time as they stopped ten yards broadside. It was a passthru and I watched as she ran down the creek and crossed seventy-five yards downstream. I found the blood trail where she crossed the creek and marked it with a flag. I use the orange flags used by telephone and power companies to mark underground lines as blood trail markers and find that they are highly visible. I was able to cross the creek without getting wet and found her on the opposite bank. I was able to float her out to my Jeep all the way except for the last fifty yards. The water makes it a little easier for someone who is 66 years old.

I will be back in the swamp thursday morning for another 'sunrise in the swamp'. Maybe another doe will pass by as I need two more. Our married girls raid our freezer for venison on a regular basis.

7 Mag

Congratulations on the doe. I enjoyed your story. Wither hunting with a bow or rifle, my 1st area of choice is always a swamp. I love to hear the sound of a deer walking through the water.

BowFan

BowArrow said:
...The water makes it a little easier for someone who is 66 years old...

Thanks for sharing that story. I hope I have as long and successful a hunting career as you've had. That's inspiring.