Da vinci code and the Gospel of Judas, Hypocrasy

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I hope the Christain world will not settle enough to listen read or watch this junk from either. Read 1 Timothy 4 :1&2. I think it pretty much sums it up. Wonder how many people will be led astray with these?

PWalls

Spotlite said:
Wonder how many people will be led astray with these?

Hopefully no Christians will believe in those fictions. Hopefully their faith is strong enough to discern the difference. I am just as concerned about the "lost" ones who put credence to this and turn further down the road to elmo.

Dudley Do-Wrong

A lot depends on how mature they are as Christians. Some Christians are very studious and won't be taken in, but those that are not well versed in God's word can be easily led in the wrong direction. First, folks need to understand that the Da Vinci Code is a work of fiction, nothing more. The so called gospel of Judas is a work that has best been determined to have been written well after the time of Christ while the real Gospels were written at about 50 to 90 AD. The real 4 Gospels were written by men (inspired by God) that walked and talked with Jesus Christ. The so called Judas gospel could not have been written by an eye witness.

Dixie Dawg

I doubt very much that any Christians would be swayed by the DaVinci code. All of the specials I have watched on the National Geographic Channel, Discovery Channel and History channel all pretty much debunk it's 'truths' to the point where it would be hard to swallow as a non-fictional movie. (which it is advertised as 'fiction' anyway)

Now, the Gospel of Judas.... that's a different story....

IMHO of course ;)

Dudley Do-Wrong

From what I have read, it is believed that the Judas gospel was written anywhere from 130 to 170 AD, at least 100 years after the death and ressurection of Christ. Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, were all written within the life times of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John by Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. The Judas rag could not have been written by Judas Iscariot unless he lived to be about 170 years old.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
David Mills said:
From what I have read, it is believed that the Judas gospel was written anywhere from 130 to 170 AD, at least 100 years after the death and ressurection of Christ. Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, were all written within the life times of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John by Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. The Judas rag could not have been written by Judas Iscariot unless he lived to be about 170 years old.
That leaves him out, he hung himself.

PWalls

David Mills said:
The Judas rag could not have been written by Judas Iscariot unless he lived to be about 170 years old.

Not to mention the fact that you would have to disbelieve the other Gospels in order to think that Judas wrote that one since he hanged himself.

Dixie Dawg

There are many Christians who admit they don't really know who actually wrote the gospels. Not all Christians hold fast to the idea that Matthew, Mark, Luke and John actually penned the gospels themselves, rather than it being a writing about their teachings.

I don't believe the Gospel of Judas is claimed to have been written BY Judas.... but instead ABOUT Judas. I can't say for certain because I haven't read it... but from what I saw on the documentary, it is ABOUT him, not claimed to be written by him.

Much like the book of Job was not written BY Job, but ABOUT Job. Same with the book of Joshua. And Ruth. And Jonah. And probably many more. :huh:

Dudley Do-Wrong

Matthew: authored by Matthew 1st century AD
Mark: authored by Mark 1st century AD
Luke: authored by Luke 1st century AD
John: authored by John 1st century AD

There may be “Christian” skeptics as well as agnostics who will doubt the authorship and validity of the Four Gospels as well as other books of the Bible. I have never heard or heard of, what would be known as “mainstream” Christians doubting the authors of the Gospels.

Many use the “Christian” label but are in fact, anything but Christian. Christ warned us about these folks.

None of the 4 Gospels were written about the authors, they were written about Jesus Christ. I have not read the "Judas Gospel" nor do I intend to, but if it was written about Judas then it can hardly be labeled as a "gospel".

Dixie Dawg

David Mills said:
Matthew: authored by Matthew 1st century AD
Mark: authored by Mark 1st century AD
Luke: authored by Luke 1st century AD
John: authored by John 1st century AD

How do you know this?

If the book of John was written by John himself, why does he speak of himself in the third person?

What does this mean to you? "The beginning of the gospel of John". Does that mean it was actually written by John?

PWalls

Dixie Dawg said:
How do you know this?

If the book of John was written by John himself, why does he speak of himself in the third person?

What does this mean to you? "The beginning of the gospel of John". Does that mean it was actually written by John?

What do you mean above? The first John in the Gospel of John is not the disciple John, but John the Baptist. Am I missing what you are trying to say here? Please be more specific (scriptural reference maybe).

SBG

Dixie Dawg said:
How do you know this?

I think it was just his writing style. This style is used often in the Bible. The book of Exodous is an example. Moses wrote the book and refers to himself in the third person.

Dudley Do-Wrong

How do you know this?

This has been debated for well over 1000 years has never been disproven.

I wasn't there so I can't tell you.

Dixie Dawg

Well, aparently there are some disputes about this, according to information even from Catholic websites.... that is why the gospels are labeled "The Gospel ACCORDING TO Mark, Luke, etc." instead of "The Gospel OF Mark". Especially since some of the gospels are so closely written in verse and description as others, almost being a 'copy', so to speak :)

So when the Gospel According to Mark starts out:
Chapter 1. "The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God"... should we not assume it was written by Jesus? :rolleyes: ::ke:

ALL of the gospels, and really, the entire NT itself, were written WELL (decades) after the death of Jesus. That's how there came to be inconsistencies in the writings :)

The authors of the gospels cannot be proven, and therefore the assumed authors cannot be disproven. So it's basically a win by default, for those who it matters to :)

SBG

Dixie Dawg said:
The authors of the gospels cannot be proven, and therefore the assumed authors cannot be disproven. So it's basically a win by default, for those who it matters to :)

Okay. What was the point then?

Dudley Do-Wrong

The earliest copy of The Illyiad is dated hundreds of years after Homer, seems no one has a problem accepting the fact that it was written by Homer.

The earliest known documented instance of Plato was written hundreds of years after his death, but it seems that no one has a problem accepting the fact that Plato existed.

Yet, the Gospels and other New Testament writings were written closer to the time of the actual events than any other ancient manuscripts, and we have skeptics. Go figure.

There are folks, a lot smarter than probably most of us put together (by God's grace) that figured it out. As SBG stated, some of it had to do with writing styles.

specially since some of the gospels are so closely written in verse and description as others, almost being a 'copy', so to speak

Wow

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Dixie Dawg said:
Well, aparently there are some disputes about this, according to information even from Catholic websites.... that is why the gospels are labeled "The Gospel ACCORDING TO Mark, Luke, etc." instead of "The Gospel OF Mark". Especially since some of the gospels are so closely written in verse and description as others, almost being a 'copy', so to speak :)

So when the Gospel According to Mark starts out:
Chapter 1. "The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God"... should we not assume it was written by Jesus? :rolleyes: ::ke:

ALL of the gospels, and really, the entire NT itself, were written WELL (decades) after the death of Jesus. That's how there came to be inconsistencies in the writings :)

As far as I am concerned, who ever wrote them and when they were written are not all that important to me anymore, they were holy men of God and moved on by God to write it. They are real and those scriptures back theirself up over and over from Gensis to Revelations. One thing no one can take away, debate away or even try to make sound not real from anyone, is their experience with the Lord.

Dixie Dawg

David Mills said:
The earliest copy of The Illyiad is dated hundreds of years after Homer, seems no one has a problem accepting the fact that it was written by Homer.

The earliest known documented instance of Plato was written hundreds of years after his death, but it seems that no one has a problem accepting the fact that Plato existed.

I don't know of any religions that are based on the Illyiad or Plato's writings? :huh: :huh:

And I don't recall saying that there was any doubt the disciples existed..... :huh:

AAADawg

Only an idiot of the highets order would mistake the Davinci Code for anything other than a work of fiction. It has never been portrayed as anything else. It has as much to do with Christianity as "Oh God" and "Oh God Part 2"has. In "Oh God" God' layed by George Burns in the movie, admits he made a mistake when he made Giraffes and Artichokes. I have never heard a single solitary person who was mad about this work of fiction yet you cant throw a brick without hitting some Christian who is mad about the DaVinci Code...even though most of your havent read it or seen the movie. It is this inability among some Christians to distinguish between fiction and reality that places the lot of you in a bad light.

CAL

. It is this inability among some Christians to distinguish between fiction and reality that places the lot of you in a bad light.[/QUOTE]

Never have seen a Christain in what is called "a bad light".The bad light is the one shining on the non believers!