Scrap Car

Fletch_W

Banned
I saw a sign on Hwy 138 near Walnut Grove that gives $12.50 per 100 pounds for junk cars. I have a junk car that is 3000 pounds. Does that mean I can get $375 for it? Earlier this year I got $160 for a scrap Saturn, just a picker who was driving by and walked up to ask about it. $375 sounds too good to be true. What do you scrappers say?

Hunterrs

GONetwork Member
That sounds right. Got almost 400 for a mid size Chevy last week. Got to drain the gas and some have to have the title

Fletch_W

Banned
I've got the title. As far as draining gas, if it shows empty on the gauge, is that good enough, or do I have to actually drill holes in the tank?

Also, do I need to drain antifreeze? Oil? What about freon?

rydert

Blue Heeler man
alot of scrap people have enviro-racks... they put them on this rack drain antifreeze, oil ,gas, etc. out in a catch tank and then smash/shred them..at least that is how they do it around here. You call, they pick um up.

mdgmc84

i got an 84 chevy 1500 that may be going that way soon, been sitting in the yard for 7 years now, got it for parts and got most anything im going to use. and a bunch of other scrap metal in the back...

Fletch_W

Banned
i got an 84 chevy 1500 that may be going that way soon, been sitting in the yard for 7 years now, got it for parts and got most anything im going to use. and a bunch of other scrap metal in the back...

I'll give you $75 cash. $100 if I don't have to fake up a car title.

jigman29

Be sure to put every piece of scrap metal you can find in it when you go,they pay more for cars than regular scrap where I am so it its in a car we get car price for it.As far as the tank I wouldn't be drilling holes in it for sure but the scrap yards here don't say anything about it.I actually know people who will take a water hose and fill the tank with water for the extra weight lol.Some people will do anything for an extra buck.

Fletch_W

Banned
I found a local place giving $12. It's only about 3 miles from the driveway. They said the tank doesn't have to be punched unless it's towed in. If I can drive it there, it just has to be on empty. Thanks for yall's input. I much appreciate it.

Capt Quirk

I scrapped a Dodge mini van a little while back. The scrap yard was giving about $11 something a pound, but the auto salvage yard gave me a little more... minus $10 or so, for the new battery I kept.

Knotwild

I scrap old cars whenever I can find them. If you have time pull the radiator out, all of the wires, battery cables you can get to, the battery, and the catalytic converter. All of these items bring more than the scrap steel price and you will have more cash in your pocket.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
it depends on the place. locally, one will take cars but ALL fluids must be drained, tires off, etc (this is code for "we really don't want scrap cars but if you insist).

The second will take them with fluids and do it themselves.

T