Deer meat and fat mixture question

bnew17

I got a buddy who just ground up some deer meat. He mixed ground pork fat with it. I Have always used beef fat. He wanted me to ask If his ground mixture with pork fat would be ok

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I always use pork fat and pork trimmins` added to deer when I make sausage, along with the seasonins`.

I use beef fat added to deer when I make burger. I add no seasonins` to this. For both I use about 3 to 4 handfulls of meat to 1 of fat. And I grind it twice.

I`m sure his will be fit to eat.

shakey gizzard

It's all good! 80/20's to lean,60/40 and yor workin the grill like Waffle House.;)

jcinpc

Gone but not forgotten
I always use pork to mix with my deer for sausage, to me beef fat makes it dry.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Either/or. I prefer neither. I don't add any fat at all to ground deer meat unless I'm making sausage out of it, it don't need it. That's one of the plusses of deer meat is that it doesn't have grease running out of it when you cook it.

bany

Either/or. I prefer neither. I don't add any fat at all to ground deer meat unless I'm making sausage out of it, it don't need it. That's one of the plusses of deer meat is that it doesn't have grease running out of it when you cook it.

What he said!

bnew17

so basically he wont be able to tell a difference than if he had mixed beef fat with it ,as far as taste.. . im guessing it may be a little greasier?

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
I mix the pork fat for sausage but I don't mix beef fat for burgers. I find the beef fat changes the taste after it has been frozen for a while, and the ground without fat keep the same taste longer. jmho...

Sterlo58

I don't add fat to ground deer. Add a little olive oil to it when you cook it to keep it juicy. I add a little pork fat when I make sausage...maybe 10%.