PDA

View Full Version : CB, HAM or other radio experts, need advice

DYI hunting
11-15-2011, 11:24 AM
I am looking to install a CB in my Jeep for trail rides and emergency comms vehicle to vehicle in CensoredCensoredCensoredCensored situations. Any suggestion for a cheaper basic CB? What would I be missing on the cheaper CB's that the more expensive models can do?

Is there better options in HAM or other radios?

Slingblade
11-15-2011, 04:25 PM
I would go to the CB shop in Carnesville, talk to "Wolfman", it is at exit 164 or 166. Whichever radio you go with, it won't be worth diddly without a properly tuned antenna; the long quarter wave steel whips will most often give you the lowest SWR (standing wave ratio). You can pick one up at Radio Shack for about $20 and they hold up pretty good to the abuse they are likely to receive on the trail, whereas a fiberglass antenna is more likely to break.

Casey81
11-15-2011, 04:46 PM
They all do the same it just depends on what you want it to do and how tunable you want it. I used to run the higher end Uniden radios and have nothing but good things to say about them. Antenna wise I have ran everything from a 4' Firestick to a 108" whip. The latter was the best antenna I ever ran. I don't know how good the TA is in Commerce but there is B&B Hobby in Snellville. There is a guy that works there that knows everything there is to know. He would be the one I would talk to.

W4DSB
11-15-2011, 06:18 PM
If you go to B&B see Wayne Taylor. He works on CB's for a living but is a very well known Extra Class Ham .

T.P.
11-15-2011, 06:19 PM
Yep, just go see "Wolfman", he'll set you right up.

DYI hunting
11-16-2011, 10:32 AM
I work about 5 miles from that exit so the Wolfman it is. I remember seeing the shop years ago and didn't know he was still in business.

Wahoo Creek
11-16-2011, 08:05 PM
As far as the guy at B&B, I heard he retired, so check before you go.

I'd suggest that you go to the jeep forums and find their cb/ham sections. Lots of discussions there. Popular radio choices include the cobra 75 (about $100, but smallest option), the Uniden 510 and 520(run $35 and up, 520 model has RF gain), and the Midland 1001. The unidens and the midland are fairly small.

As far as cb vs. ham, I have heard it compared to AM vs. FM - - clearer, stronger signal, etc. However, Ham radios require a license and equipment costs more.

Good luck.

packrat
11-16-2011, 10:03 PM
I would go to the CB shop in Carnesville, talk to "Wolfman", it is at exit 164 or 166. Whichever radio you go with, it won't be worth diddly without a properly tuned antenna; the long quarter wave steel whips will most often give you the lowest SWR (standing wave ratio). You can pick one up at Radio Shack for about $20 and they hold up pretty good to the abuse they are likely to receive on the trail, whereas a fiberglass antenna is more likely to break.

Wolfman" is a great guy to deal with, knows every radio trick of the trade.
He is also a faithful supporter of the Annual Truckers for Kids Toy Run.:flag:
Wolfman Electronics
Exit 164 on I-85
807 Ga Hwy 320
Carnesville, GA 30521
Shop# (706) 384-5184

bml
11-18-2011, 02:18 PM
Back when I was really into CB's as a hobby, I was always very impressed by the service and near perfect performance of everything Wolfman worked on. If I was still into CB's, Wolfman would be my only choice.