Dishwasher or Plumbing

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Occasionally my wife finds dirty stinky water backed up into the bottom of the dishwasher. Not a lot, but enough.

Is that most likely a dishwasher problem or a plumbing problem that would allow/cause this to happen.

We only use the washer a couple times a week.

Thanks

CAL

I think it is your plumbing Ronnie.Sounds like to me the waste water from the sink is not leaving the house as it should.Your dishwasher is tied into your sink drain and would realize the back up before the sink does.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
I think both of you are correct.
I know the dishwasher hose connects to the sink drain at garbage disposal and I know there's no s-trap between the garbage disposal unit and the dishwasher

I'll have to do some investigating.

Thanks.

Wycliff

In order to stop this make sure your dishwasher drain loops up above the drain to your sink. If it drops straight down or is not higher than the sink drain then when you run water out it will back up into the dishwasher.

moto

when i work on them, there a few things i look at. 1-check your drain line to be sure there are no kinks and free of sludge, including the connection to the disposal 2- the disposal itself is clear of junk 3-the trap 4-the dishwasher "filter" or "screen" and the impeller housing. alot of debris and deposits can clog the screen and impeller inlet/outlets making the pump work at half its efficiency 5-the age of the machine itself, being the pump could be showing symptoms of taking a dirt nap soon

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
when i work on them, there a few things i look at. 1-check your drain line to be sure there are no kinks and free of sludge, including the connection to the disposal 2- the disposal itself is clear of junk 3-the trap 4-the dishwasher "filter" or "screen" and the impeller housing. alot of debris and deposits can clog the screen and impeller inlet/outlets making the pump work at half its efficiency 5-the age of the machine itself, being the pump could be showing symptoms of taking a dirt nap soon

The washer is over 10 years old. It could be time for a new one.
My wife wants a stainless that costs about $25,000 dollars, or something like that.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Occasionally my wife finds dirty stinky water backed up into the bottom of the dishwasher. Not a lot, but enough.

Is that most likely a dishwasher problem or a plumbing problem that would allow/cause this to happen.

We only use the washer a couple times a week.

Thanks

The dishwasher has a back flow (foot) valve where the discharge line attaches to the dishwasher. I will bet this is your problem. It jus a simple flap that keep the discharge water from re-entering the dishwasher tub.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
The dishwasher has a back flow (foot) valve where the discharge line attaches to the dishwasher. I will bet this is your problem. It jus a simple flap that keep the discharge water from re-entering the dishwasher tub.

Bingo!

Thanks.