2-cycle engine question

JerryC

Here's the summary, full details below. If a 2-cycle engine that is cold will only start with starting fluid and runs fine, and re-starts fine as long as it is warm, what is most likely the problem.

Details:
A co-worker has a Ryobi leaf blower he left in the back of his truck and he was about to throw it away so I decided to tinker with it.
The primer bulb was cracked and the gas line was broken so I replaced those with new (included a fuel filter) and I put in a new tank of properly-mixed gas and a new spark plug. It wouldn't start, so I gave it one spray of starting fluid and it started right up and ran until the tank ran dry. I filled it up again and it started up right away with no starting fluid. Next day, after it had cooled, it would only start the first time with starting fluid, then you can turn it off and re-start it easily as long as it is warm. Let it cool down and it will only start with starting fluid. What does it sound like it could be? I am about to get it running again and slowly spray Gumout into the air intake. If it is a lot more work that that, I am just going to give it back to him and tell him it runs, just use starting fluid the first time each day. Bad for the engine long term, I'm sure, but buys him some time. -JerryC

Leroys Dakota

Definitely the carb. Starting fluid is bad, btw. Put a bit of mix in a spray bottle. Works much better.

Brand new carbs are about $15, IIRC. Used to be a 2-cycle mechanic.

Leroys Dakota

And don't use seafoam either. Won't do any good.

JerryC

The main problem being it is a disposable Ryobi.
Yeah, no kidding, but in all fairness he abused it. Left it in his truck in the rain, threw it wherever whenever.
Thanks for all the help guys. I know starting fluid is bad, but never thought of putting some mix in a spray bottle. I may start taking things apart this weekend when I'm in my turkey coma... -JerryC

Backlasher82

WD40 is very flammable and contains some lubrication, it works better than starting fluid for 2 strokes.

Sugar HillDawg

I would see how much a carb costs and if it's comparable to the kit, buy the carb, trust me, it's easier that way.

deadend

I've messed with Ryobi stuff for friends a bunch and it's a downhill slope for sure. Sometimes the parts are harder to get and more expensive than the unit is worth.

Backlasher82

Out of boredom I checked Ebay. $15 for the carb kit, $35 for a new carb.

Havana Dude

Set it out by the trash can on your way to the store to get a Stihl or Echo.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Is the choke working? If it's been out in the rain, the choke pivot or the cable could be rusted and not letting the choke close completely.

JerryC

Set it out by the trash can on your way to the store to get a Stihl or Echo.
That's where I got it in the first place!
Cleaned the carb, made sure the throttle was working right (it wasn't at first) and now it starts and runs well!