Calls

jprairie

What are some of the best box calls slate glass calls mouth calls or any other turkey calls also hooters and such..... If you can include prices, where to git the calls or Pictures of calls
then thatde be nice

Jody Hawk

I'll give you a little advice, don't buy into the custom call is better way of thinking around here. Anyone can take a piece of wood and a wood working shop and call themselves a call maker. While there are a lot of excellent custom call makers, I've got plenty of proof in my closet, sitting around collecting dust, that custom junk exists too! My suggestion would be for you to go to Unicoi or Perry and listen to different calls and see what you like.

icdedturkes

I'll give you a little advice, don't buy into the custom call is better way of thinking around here. Anyone can take a piece of wood and a wood working shop and call themselves a call maker. While there are a lot of excellent custom call makers, I've got plenty of proof in my closet, sitting around collecting dust, that custom junk exists too! My suggestion would be for you to go to Unicoi or Perry and listen to different calls and see what you like.
Great advice.. After walking around the NWTF convention a few times I am sorely disappointed in the sound quality of some of the highly regarded calls.. IMO there are very few top shelf calls out there.

gblrklr

Great advice.. After walking around the NWTF convention a few times I am sorely disappointed in the sound quality of some of the highly regarded calls.. IMO there are very few top shelf calls out there.
Awesome advice. There are very few makers that I would buy a call from without running it first.

Kevin Farr

Yep, even though everyone's ear is different, there are a lot of calls that are labeled custom calls that are custom crap. It doesn't matter if they have the rave reviews from folks or not.

I agree that there are very few elite calls, a slightly larger number that are great, a decent number that are good to average, and a good bit that are just plain low-end with a hit-and-miss to get an occasional decent one.

Kevin Farr

Yep, just because it's labeled "custom" definitely does NOT automatically guarantee that it's good.

dt6084

Look @ Tom Teasers Calls as Tommy Walton is local & he has all types of calls for sale. A slate pot call is very forgiving to the beginner. Tommy also has box calls available in time for Christmas this year. He even told me over the phone that his new box calls will have a band to keep it noise free. This is another call good for the beginner to use. He also has a new DVD that explains everything better than anyone on this website can. Tom Teasers are sold all over the US now. I wish him much success as he is in Mansfield Georgia. Support local products grown-made in America. Go Dawgs!

J Gilbert

I'll absolutely agree with what these guys have said, I've only ran calls from the guys that visit Perry, but there are only two of them that I'd buy a call from without running it first at this point. There are definitely some highly regarded calls I wouldn't pay a $20 bill for, and I've found some good calls for great prices as well.

Edit: Forgot to add, Tommy Walton makes the only diaphragms that I hunt with. I've bought others that were recommended on here, but haven't found anything I like as much as Tommy's calls, and he's a great guy to boot

jprairie

where could i look at tommy walton calls

Timber1

BANNED
What are some of the best box calls slate glass calls mouth calls or any other turkey calls also hooters and such..... If you can include prices, where to git the calls or Pictures of calls
then thatde be nice

You sure you just don't one of us to go out and shoot a bird for you. ;)

moyehow

My suggestion is to go to the show and run a few calls. I have found almost everyone wants something different. Some want a soft call others want a call they can play loud. A lot of times a striker can make a big difference in what call will sound like.

sman

I agree with everyone else. Depends on what you like. I like a high pitched slate that turns over easily to a more raspy finish. I also like to cluck and cutt a lot more than yelp. I can't stand a call that slips in the middle of cutting.

I will make a suggestion though... I haven't tried all of the custom calls out there. There are probably some great ones that I haven't put my hands on but RutnStrut makes a great copper pot. Sounds really good with a flared tipped striker. Also the Woodhaven Vision Crystal call is really impressive. Pricey but nice. And Tom Teaser makes some nice calls as well.

Strikers can make all the difference. Be sure to try as many as you can with a call before you chunk it.

Mouth calls are different, to each his own in this department. I usually by 10 to 20 of them and only 3 will make the vest. I like Woodhaven's and Tom Teasers but there are some mass made calls that make the bag every year as well.

Hope this helps, but probably just made the water a little more murky.