USMC question

Stingray23

Not sure if anyone on here is in the Marines and can answer this question but I thought I'd give it a shot.
My son has enlisted in the Marines, he's been through the mountain of paperwork, taken the ASVAB and is now waiting for what is called MEPS I believe. Well it's been about 3 months since he's heard from his recruiter, he's called and left several messages, been to the office to see him and he's never there and now recently has had his cell # disconnected. I don't really know what to make of this except maybe the armed forces are just getting overwhelmed right now with new recruits and this is the reason for the delay. Is this normal?

John I. Shore

Recruiter probably got fired. Call the MEPS or run by a recruiters office, there'll be a new one there soon. Hope this helps. Let us know when he becomes a Marine.:flag::flag::flag:

shadow2

Not normal. There are a lot of guys trying to get in the svc right now. However this does not sound normal. If your son has not been to MEPS then he is not in the system yet if memory serves me correct. I believe that is where I officially enlisted at.

He may be able to check out one of the other branches they should be able to run his Ssn and determin what his status is. Or another marine Recruter can do the same thing

grunt0331

Call the district office. Sounds like the recruiter either PCSed or was relieved. What office were you workign with? Another recruiting station in the area should fall under the same district and can get you back on track quickly.

Numnbers for the different RSS in the area are on the link below

http://www.marines.mil/unit/mcrc/6mcd/atlanta/pages/locaterecruiter.aspx

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten

dslc6487

This is certainly not normal. However, with all of the troops coming back from Iraq after a successful win(according to our "fearless" leader in the White House), who knows. All of those troops have to go somewhere. So, whereas most of the big O's plans are secret anyway (I thouht all was supposed to be transparent under his leadership, which has been a joke), he may have plans to limit or even shut down the recruiting stations for a while. However, I would send my son to another Marine recruiting station, maybe even in another city, to try and see what is going on. I don't think the Marines would promise him all of this and then not follow through with their plan, unless they have received orders from a higher authority.

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten
If he has not been to the MEPS then he has not enlisted, he has only talked to a recruiter and taken a test. Right after he (really) enlists he will make the trip to boot camp that day, until then he has not enlisted. Unless I missed something, I didn't see where the USMC had promised him anything...even if they did; it never happened if it isn't in the enlistment contract.

Headhunter1

I retired from the Air Force in 2007, but during my time in the service had several friends who were recruiter’s. It was not unseal for a recruit to wait up to 6 months at least before going to the MEPS center for processing and then taking the oath of enlistment to move on to basic training. As other’s have posted here you and your son should go to the recruiter or at the very least call the recruiter’s office. I would imagine with the job market in the state it is now all branches of the military are being flooded with applications. Like anything else you have to stay on them and see what the deal is.

HALOJmpr

I would find out what your sons' asvab score was. It could be that he passed but his score is not in the current score level for recruitment. It used to be that most services took applicants with at least a 35 score. Now, they have to have a min 50 score for most services. With unemployment how it is, it has become very competitive to enter the services.

His first trip to meps will be a medical exam to see if he is even medically eligible for enlistment. Then after the recruiter has placed them in a MOS/Job (I'm former Army so I say MOS) then they go back to meps for final processing and to be sworn in. Typically they depart straight to their basic training from this 2nd trip to MEPS.

If he chooses delayed entry then there can be a delay in his second trip to meps but if there is a job available they will usually schedule him ASAP. the delayed entry program is typically used for high school or college students waiting to graduate.

There should not be a delay that long to make the medical trip to MEPS so as stated by other posters you need to get a hold of the recruiting station CO and if you can't get him tell them you want the regional command contact #. The recruiters in the station will have those #'s. If after trying that route you can't get anything resolved PM me and I will see what I can do. I work for Jacksonville MEPS and will find out the #'s for you.