Outside wood furnace

Roy

A guy I know purchased an outside wood heater - a Hardy heater - last year and swears by it. I was curious if anyone else is using one, or a similar one, to heat their home. I know there are other ones on the market.

He says he loads it twice a day and keeps the thermostat as high as he wants.

I've sent a request for information from the website but wanted advice other than a sales pitch. I currently heat with a heat pump and one of my main questions is can I hook into my system.

Thanks for looking.

Living Proof

Normally you can hook it to most heat pump systems with ductwork modification. The problem is the cost of the unit, buying wood or your time and labor in cutting and hauling wood, then you still have a 15 year old heatpump that will need to be replaced eventually. I'm just not sold on them.

eidson

Does your heat pump work? If so that is the best way to heat your home. Don't know anything about the wood heater sry.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Normally you can hook it to most heat pump systems with ductwork modification. The problem is the cost of the unit, buying wood or your time and labor in cutting and hauling wood, then you still have a 15 year old heatpump that will need to be replaced eventually. I'm just not sold on them.

Yep! been there and done that. Had wood burning furnace ducted into the existing HVAC ducts.

Unless you have free source of fuel the savings will be minimal if any at all. When you amortize the cost of the furnace there is no savings.

Your money would be much better spent on insulation and a 15+ seer gas/electric hybrid system.

Roy

Thanks. I got the price list in the mail and the units run between 5000 to 6000. My heat pump is just a few years old and runs fine. Still considering it. Wood supply not too big a problem...