New pistol ?

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
I'm considering purchasing a new pistol for carrying in my truck and for carrying while hunting mainly for protection.

My main concerns are for it to be small, lightweight, accurate and last but not least have some pretty good knockdown power.

I'm seriously considering a compact semi-auto Glock since I've heard and/or seen Randy praise them so much, though I'm not sure what model and/or caliber.

What brand/model and caliber would you all suggest?

QuakerBoy

If I were to buy a Glock, I think I'd choose the model 23.

It is a semi compact .40 cal.

Ruffinit Ed has this gun and I've shot it a few times. Nice shooter and plenty of knockdown power.

leadoff

GONetwork Member
I carry a stainless Ruger Vaquero in .45 LC. It has the 5 1/2" barrel. Pretty compact and plenty of knock-down power. My Vaquero has the regular grips, but you can get the bird's head grip and be even more compact. I think the bird's heads even come in 3 3/4" barrels. Plus, Ruger offers a pretty wide selection of calibers in the Vaquero.

:)

elmerpud

Glock, Glock, Glock

Glock, Model 22, 40 cal., holds 15 rounds. get an extra clip that 30 quick rounds of protection. The only thing i don't like about a revolver is I would have to reload it three time to equal my clock clip. IMO, the more rounds the better. Some people are just hard to kill. :shoot: :shoot: :clap:

GeauxLSU

Spin 'em.

huntnnut said:
I'm considering purchasing a new pistol for carrying in my truck and for carrying while hunting mainly for protection.
My main concerns are for it to be small, lightweight, accurate and last but not least have some pretty good knockdown power.
For exactly what you describe mine is a Smith revolver in .44 mag. Now it's not particularly small or lightweight, but I'm not trying to carry it my shirt pocket either. If I carry something in the woods, I want to be able to take a deer or hog or bear with it, should the opportunity/need arise as well as have sufficient power for any 2 legged vermin. If you plan to leave it in the truck, then I see no advantage to a few ounces lighter. Besides that, what Andy said.
Obviously to each his own but I see no reason to carry anything that is currently offered in a readily availble automatic when revolver calibers have much more versatility, IMHO of course.
Having said that, anything is better than nothing.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Hunterrs

GONetwork Member
What about the Glock 27? This is a compact model and only holds nine plus one in the pipe, I think. However it will take the fifteen round magazines that you use for the model 22. Keep the factory mag in it for carry and have a couple of the Hi-Cap ones for when the KaKa hits the fan.

Robert

gobblinglawyer

For concealability I like the Glock 27 in .40 S&W or .357 Sig. I would also add Trijicon night sights.

I have a Glock 27, 23 and 20 and prefer the handling characteristics of the 27 and actually, I shoot it better than the bigger models.

Regardless of the model I would go with the Glock.

Schulze

I would go with a 357 revolver. Forget glocks LOL. Either that or a small 1911

Ga-Spur

None of these guns are small or light. Lugging around a gun the size of these gets pretty heavy at the end of the day.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Thanks guy's for your input, though I'm still leaning towards a Glock at this point.

After looking at Glock's web-site, I like the size of the Glock model 27 , though it appears that the 357 isn't offered in the model 27. However they do have a model 33 in 357 and it appears to be the exact same pistol with the exact same specifications with the only exception being that it comes in 357 caliber and the length of twist in the barrel is longer.

Am I correct on this? Glock is a little confusing with all their different model no's.

Also, is there any reason a body couldn't hunt/kill a deer or a hog with it at close ranges.

One last question, can 38 caliber rounds be fired from the Glock model 33 as well as the 357?

TIA for your help

QuakerBoy

huntnnut said:
One last question, can 38 caliber rounds be fired from the Glock model 33 as well as the 357?

TIA for your help

No. It is a 357 Sig. not a 357 magnum

At least that is what I believe

QuakerBoy

this is the 357 sig cartridge

Attachments

• 357lddtavert.jpg
    357lddtavert.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 259

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Rich, the data on their website is somewhat lacking and/or deceiving, it doesn't state magnum or sig, though I would assume you're correct. Btw, I wasn't familiar with the term sig.

leadoff

GONetwork Member
elmerpud said:
Glock, Model 22, 40 cal., holds 15 rounds. get an extra clip that 30 quick rounds of protection. The only thing i don't like about a revolver is I would have to reload it three time to equal my clock clip. IMO, the more rounds the better. Some people are just hard to kill. :shoot: :shoot: :clap:

In the woods over the years, I have had to pull my revolver on hogs, wild dogs, and coyotes. I have never had to reload. A couple of well-placed shots is all it takes. :)

QuakerBoy

excuse my lack of specifics but if I recall correctly this round was first brought o0ut by Sig Saur. hence the 357 Sig. I first saw it about 10 years ago. Not sure how long before that it actually hit the market. I believe it is a 40 cal casing necked down to .357

I'm sure D2D can correct any errors I've made :bounce:

Trizey

Huntnnut- I bought a Glock 23(.40) less than a month ago and I couldn't be happier with the gun. :)

I've only put about 50 rounds throught it, but I love this gun. The model 23 is the compact or mid-sized frame and seems to pack plenty of punch with the right ammo.

I just got a hold of 135 grain Federal Hydra-shocks, but haven't had a chance to try them out. I'm planning on making tomorrow a range day and try some different loads.

For simplicity, performance and reliability, go for the Glock.

BTW- The .357 Sig is the necked down version of the .357 Mag. The Glock 23's barrel is interchangable from .40 to .357 Sig.

Like you said, I'm sure Randy can add to this thread.

Last edited:

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Thanks again guys!

Man, these pistols are confusing... :D

Is a 40 cal. and/or 357 sig suitable for deer or hogs at close range with the right ammo?

Trizey

huntnnut said:
Is a 40 cal. and/or 357 sig suitable for deer or hogs at close range with the right ammo?

I don't have personal experience, but I've been told by several people that both are capable with the .40 being the most capable of the two.

I am going to try and take a deer with my Glock if I can get one within bow range. ::;

georgiaboy

Nut, Check this link out, maybe it will help some.

http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/www.Pete-357.com/#Introduction

My personal opinion is that the .40 or .357 SIG would not be the best choice for hunting. Also, the 27 is only in .40 S&W. The 33 is the same weapon except caliber for all practical purposes. I will second the night sight opinion too.
I am not an expert, but I do own and use a couple of Glocks among others. I have also carried a pistol in harm's way and I would do it again with a Glock just the same.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Thanks guy's for all the info! It'll take awhile to digest all the info from that link.

Thanks again!

Latest posts