Is it possible?

gcs

Is it possible for a hen turkey to gobble? The reason I'm asking, I was deer hunting up in Kentucky a few days ago an heard a turkey gobble only once. I had 3 hens close to me while I was on stand. I tried to find the gobbler but could only see the hens. The sound of the gobble came from the direction on the hens I've been watching. I'm sure they were all hens and not a jake or a beardless gobbler because I checked them out extra good with my binoculars to make sure what I was seeing and hearing.:huh:

gcs

I knew the gobble I heard wasn't all that loud or long. I heard it right after they flew off roost. The hens were on the ground out in front of me In a food plot yelping and clucking. Then I heard the gobble, it sounded like it came from there direction. I couldn't see anymore birds, I watched them for about a hour and nothing else showed up. Thats when I come to the conclusion it had to be one of those hens that gobbled.

TheTurkeySlayer

actually, i was in the woods last weekend deer huntin, three hens walked up from behind me. I always bring my mouth call with me just to talk to em, and i started yelpin and threw in a few cuts, one hen started struttin, and the other gobbled.

gcs

actually, i was in the woods last weekend deer huntin, three hens walked up from behind me. I always bring my mouth call with me just to talk to em, and i started yelpin and threw in a few cuts, one hen started struttin, and the other gobbled.

I'm glad to know this now. I've been hunting about all of my life and this was the first time I have ever heard a hen gobble. Thanks for the info.

Sure is - but I've never seen it in person. Derek Fowler from right here in Georgia has a dvd with an entire hunt where a hen struts and gobbles for quite a while. You can see a clip of it on his website
fowleroutdoors.com

Core Lokt

The gobble isn't as loud or defined but it's a gobble. I got the pleasure last season to watch one strut and gobble 4 times before leaving.