Couple trapping questions

Sterling

I've never done any serious trapping but did mess with a few as a kid and wondered about a few things as I contemplate getting into it and consider the trapping 101 class.
1) does my sportman's license cover my trapping license too or do I have to purchase it separately. The states web site reads as though it does, but wanted to be sure.
2) if so, does that allow me to do things commercially with the hides or is that a different license?
3) for a guy that doesn't have any tools or traps yet could I get what I need for about $125 including some traps just to get started?

Thanks for sharing any insight you may have on the matter!

Coastie

I've never done any serious trapping but did mess with a few as a kid and wondered about a few things as I contemplate getting into it and consider the trapping 101 class.
1) does my sportman's license cover my trapping license too or do I have to purchase it separately. The states web site reads as though it does, but wanted to be sure.

No, your sportsmans license does not cover trapping. The license costs $30.00 and I think the application is available as a sticky at the top of this forum.

2) if so, does that allow me to do things commercially with the hides or is that a different license?

Same commercial trapping license allows you to sell the hides.

3) for a guy that doesn't have any tools or traps yet could I get what I need for about $125 including some traps just to get started?

That would just about get you started, a lot of items you may already own or can make from things in your garage or tool shed, you don't have to get everything you want at one time. Several websites will help you a lot. Trapperman.com has good info, the Ohio trappers education website is also good. The Georgia Trappers association may be able to put you in touch with somebody near you that would be willing to help get you started as well.

Thanks for sharing any insight you may have on the matter!

Good luck and have fun.

Barehunter

Gone But Not Forgotten
Sportsman's license does not cover trapping. You will have to fill out a form and mail it in to DNR headquarters. You will receive back a license including a permanent trapper's number that you will need to go on your traps.

License is $30 annually, but you can get it free if you trap on your own land. Either license will allow you to sell fur.

Look toward the bottom of Marietta Mike's thread
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=659300

He spent $227 to get started not including the license. Depends a lot on what kind and how many traps you buy but I HIGHLY recommend buying good quality stuff and at least 6 traps.

Let me know if I can help! Whatever you do get some good advice from a successful trapper before you order equipment.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
what coastie said.

But $125 won't get you far.

T