Thinking about trapping coyotes

triton

I have been thinking about trapping a couple of years now.To get started out small can someone make a list of what would be good to get started with.I might not be able to aford the top line stuff getting started out but could upgrade over time.And about what would it cost.I do my own deer processing and have saved my scraps would this be good to set with. I put them in ziplock bags and freez themAny help would be great THANKS

triton

Sorry I forgot I want to thank this forum for all its info. It is why I want to get started.I love seeing pictures like Trapper Girl and her dads.Keep it up.

Barehunter

Gone But Not Forgotten
Probably gonna leave out something important but will give it a whirl. Don't know the SC laws so you need to check them.

Anyway here we go:

Trapping license
Traps--strongly recommend MB550
Trap Tags
Some kind of anchor system...Earth Anchor etc
Trap Dye
Wax
Pots for wax and dye
Bucket etc to carry tools
Small gardening trowel
Dirthole punch
Digging hammer...I like Mason's hammer from Lowes etc
4 lb sledge to drive stakes
Stake driver for earth anchors
Bucket of dry peat moss
Paint brush
Whisk Broom
Sifter...approx 1/4" mesh
Rubber Gloves..2 pair: one for sets, one for bait
Rubber Boots
Catch pole
.22 rimfire rifle or pistol
Baits/Lures/Urine

A lot of this stuff you probably have already or can get locally. It is possible to build a suitable catchpole...also easy to build or find a sifter of some kind. Any old paintbrush will do.

For supplies I recommend F and T
http://www.fntpost.com/Categories/Trapping/

or
Minnesota Trapline
http://www.minntrapprod.com/catalog/

I helped somebody on the forum put together a list with 1/2 dozen MB 550s a few days ago and he spent $227.
Let me know if I can help.

willc2412

Harder than you think

Let me tell you this. I spent 248 dollars on all that stuff for 265 acres and 12 traps was way to much only ended up setting for out and trapping a coyote is alot harder than people think....I learned this the hard way..... It takes alot of experience and the main thing is go to youtube and watch the higher rated video's to help teach you how to do it. You also cant have any human scent because a coyote can sense that and wont come near your trap
Hope this helps

triton

Thanks we have 816 acrs.but would only use about half of that due to getting in and out.I know they are smart animals.We can put a deer carcus in our big ditch and it will be gone the next day.We hang and debone our deer and put them in zip lock bags in a cooler.So all theres lerft is a pile of bones.I keep my scraps when working up a deer would this work for bait.