Preventing Pull Outs

cohutta21

How many pull outs is normal (if any)? What do you guys do to prevent them? I am running Bridgers 2 coils. Would adding two more springs help?

ITRAPGAK9

Banned
Only a couple a year, sounds like you need to adjust your pan tention for a fuller catch. Its not the springs that hold the animal its the levers.

buttplate

Pullouts

I have had several already, K-9. I am using MS550's just like they came. Should I be adjusting them?

HermanMerman

So many thoughts come to mind here.

ITRAPGAK9

Banned
If your using mb550'S, dont adjust them. they are probably being dug up by coons or fox. Not pull outs!

cohutta21

The last two nights I have one that was for sure a pull out. There was some hair inside the trap jaws. My pan tension may be too light and may have my triggers too sensitive. I filed and polished my dogs so they act like a good rifle trigger. Think I am getting toe catches?

USMC0321

Banned
I lost one in a MB550, could have been a toe catch, I thought it was a sasquatch at first. One of the spring rods was bent.

gfbiv

the problem is once they pull out you made the a little smarter..what size inch traps do you have? I use drags with a spring are you staking or what?

buckdog1

If you have hair in the trap, it could also be that the coyote rolled on the set. What bait or lure, dirthole, flat set or post set?
GFBIV, you use drags, with a shock spring? How does that work out for you? Got any catch pictures with this set up?

cohutta21

I am using #2 traps with two inline swivels, a spring, secured by a disposable stake... Definately do not want to educate them anymore than they already are that is why I am searching for answers... Going to pull my traps tomorrow and adjust pan tension and try again...

deadgame

Side swivels and back foot catches spell trouble on coyote traps could be too far back at the set, my .02$