Turkey Hunting North GA

Jagter

I am new to Turkey hunting, and the upcoming season will be my first.

Looking to hunt North GA WMAs, it would be appreciated if anyone had any suggestions.

Dupree

Pick which wma you would rather hunt and start scouting. They all hold birds.

Timber1

BANNED
Beaverdam, Blanton Creek, Big Lazer, B.F. Grant, Broad River.
I have found the WMA's in N. GA. that start with the letter B have the most Birds

zacherwalker

Beaverdam, Blanton Creek, Big Lazer, B.F. Grant, Broad River.
I have found the WMA's in N. GA. that start with the letter B have the most Birds

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

but in all seriousness, its gonna be hard to get a straight answer from anyone on this forum because it gets competitive on public land...you have about 4 months still before opening day...they all hold birds...start scouting..thats what ill be doing the second duck season ends

Gadget

My tip would be to find the biggest wma and go to the most remote and hard to get to spot on it. These are the spots you find birds

That's a good one!.........wait a sec....... you're being serious aren't you.:rofl:

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Brother you will find a lot of fine information here. Also a lot of the folks are more than willing to help you with tips and what not. That being said a lot of the guys here have worked their tails off scouting and multiple years of experience to find good spots. Don't be shocked when folks don't offer up places and spots on a platter. It is what it is turkey hunting is a disease and true turkey hunters are a different breed of folks. Once you have been around it long enough you'll understand what I'm saying. My best advise is to get you a couple of good calls and become good with them. Take what you watch on these hunting shows with a grain of salt. All that fancy calling will spook WAY more birds off then it calls in. Learn the lay of the land your going to be hunting, if your where he wants to be 90% of the battle is won. Use your woodsmanship skills and less calling. Public land in North Ga has birds, but it can be and if you hunt long enough it will be frustrating. Good luck and just remember when your there your hunting and not at work......

northeastassasign

why would i be joking about that? Its true, birds are pushed/ attracted to places with little to no human pressure. They like their privacy. Thats why ideal turkey habitat is so hard to come by and why you usually end up walking so far back to find a bird on public land.

Timber1

BANNED
why would i be joking about that? Its true, birds are pushed/ attracted to places with little to no human pressure. They like their privacy. Thats why ideal turkey habitat is so hard to come by and why you usually end up walking so far back to find a bird on public land.

Fortunately for us lazy hunters they like food and sex more than privacy. I am not sure I could find my way back from the middle of nowhere. ;)

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Fortunately for us lazy hunters they like food and sex more than privacy. I am not sure I could find my way back from the middle of nowhere. ;)

Depends on where the middle of nowhere is. Perhaps the corner of where Tennessee and northwest Georgia meet?

Gadget

Depends on where the middle of nowhere is. Perhaps the corner of where Tennessee and northwest Georgia meet?

You been up that way Nic? That's a hard place to find your way back from.....:bounce:

Jody Hawk

Really? :santatwo:

Gadget

My tip would be to find the biggest wma and go to the most remote and hard to get to spot on it. These are the spots you find birds

why would i be joking about that? Its true\

ok Jagter so Cohutta is the biggest WMA in Georgia at 100,000 acres, it's also the steepest, highest, most remote and hardest to access. If you make the 10hr hike up to the top of the mountain there is where you will find all the gobblers you could ever wish for...........It's true, I promise; just ask Timber1 he was told the same thing so he hiked up there to find out...........:rofl:

Last edited:

mountainraider68

since i have private land in north ga and can kill my birds no problem ill tell ya the best places to kill your long beard. either wilson shoals or russell have gotta be close to the best places to hunt ive killed no tellin how many birds on both and so far this deer season ive counted a lot on both if you get out there and give it a shot this year im tellin ya you'll see a tom without callin on one of these two WMA's. good luck man i hope you lay em out!

Timber1

BANNED
ok Jagter so Cohutta is the biggest WMA in Georgia at 100,000 acres, it's also the steepest, highest, most remote and hardest to access. If you make the 10hr hike up to the top of the mountain there is where you will find all the gobblers you could ever wish for...........It's true, I promise; just ask Timber1 he was told the same thing so he hiked up there to find out...........:rofl:

Just bad timing on my part. ...I should have got an earlier start. ....When I was lots younger, me and this friend of my dads just happened to arrive at the same spot one morning well before daylight. He has a key to the gate cause his friend has a bit of private land back in there and can drive up to the top. He offered to give me a ride in, but said they hadn't been hearing many birds in there this year. Then he says, if you want to hear lots of birds climb out over little bald and you will hear plenty. I'd go there myself but I'm too old to make the climb. Knowing this guy is a family friend and pretty honest guy I decide to check it out. Only thing is by the time I make the hike in its about lunch time and the birds have quit gobbling. Probably the reason I didn't hear any. The guy was even nice enough to call my dad and tell him not to expect me in til late. I told my dad he is a good friend to call so you guys wouldn't worry. My dad kinda grinned and said yeah, thats how turkey hunters are. ........It took me a few more years to figure out just what he was saying.

Gadget

Just bad timing on my part. ...I should have got an earlier start. ....When I was lots younger, me and this friend of my dads just happened to arrive at the same spot one morning well before daylight. He has a key to the gate cause his friend has a bit of private land back in there and can drive up to the top. He offered to give me a ride in, but said they hadn't been hearing many birds in there this year. Then he says, if you want to hear lots of birds climb out over little bald and you will hear plenty. I'd go there myself but I'm too old to make the climb. Knowing this guy is a family friend and pretty honest guy I decide to check it out. Only thing is by the time I make the hike in its about lunch time and the birds have quit gobbling. Probably the reason I didn't hear any. The guy was even nice enough to call my dad and tell him not to expect me in til late. I told my dad he is a good friend to call so you guys wouldn't worry. My dad kinda grinned and said yeah, thats how turkey hunters are. ........It took me a few more years to figure out just what he was saying.

You see Jagter.......... I told ya so:rofl:.

Hey Timber1 I hear Gobble157 and Trizey will be hunting up there on top of Bald Mountain in your honey hole this year.....:bounce:

Last edited: