20+ Yr old skinner found in Pawn Shop

John I. Shore

Check this out guys, found this in a pawn shop in Anchorage. Started this knife in Augsburg Germany when I was stationed there, one of the first ones I finished in AK back in 91. I know that it has sliced it's way through dozens of moose, several bears and dozens of caribou. Still looks pretty good for it's age. 154CM, heat treated to RC 59-60 Maroon Linen Micarta with Brass pins, (Haven't used brass in 18-20 yrs) Stainless thong tube.

John I.

Attachments

• IMG_0475.jpg
    IMG_0475.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 913
Last edited:

John I. Shore

Oh yeah, asked the girl in the shop who the maker was. She had no idea so I told her I could take it off her hands if she cut me a deal. She did, I did and she is here now (the knife, not the girl) getting a new sheath. Other one was a little ratty and worn.

John I.

Last edited:

Razor Blade

Thats a cool story. A good lookin knife also, for it to be 20 years old. Scott

tedsknives

Nice to find it John. Glad you got it back.

Anvil Head

Great thing to be able to pick up one of your old knives that has been used and see what you did "back when". Sometimes pretty (like yours) sometimes not, but still an old friend.
(Hope I maintain that well after 20 more years of use and abuse!)

wvdawg

Staff member
Great story! Did it appreciate in value after 20 years?

john costa

Cool, I found one of Jim Small's (Madison ,Ga.) first 20 in a gun shop in Statham Ga. in Sept. Good find.

John I. Shore

Great story! Did it appreciate in value after 20 years?

Oh yeah, like a bottle of fine wine. Soon as I get some dead cow wrapped around it I'm gonna find someone who wants it more than I do.:rofl:

John I.

2tines

Oh yeah, asked the girl in the shop who the maker was. She had no idea so I told her I could take it off her hands if she cut me a deal. She did, I did and she is here now (the knife, not the girl) getting a new sheath. Other one was a little ratty and worn.

John I.
great story, glad you brought her home. thanks for sharing

Fletch_W

Banned
Sad part is someone was hard up enough to get rid of it for a few dollars at a pawn shop. But it's like the ring that rules them all... it finds it's way back to it's keeper.

K80

Nice!

After buying it did you tell her who you were?

Are you reallying going to resale it? I think I'd have to hold on to it since it founds its way back home after 20 years.

John I. Shore

Thanks guys, great comments, I appreciate them all. K80- yep, told her who I was so she dropped the price even more, resale it? Yep, a great friend/mentor told me when I first started making knives: "John, don't fall in love with your own work or you'll be the greatest collector of your work." (Bob Loveless). Yep, out there somewhere is the future owner of this, along with the story behind it.

John I.