Florida Skunk Ape...

WSB

In Florida there have been reports of sightings of a bigfoot like creature. A woman, that doesn't want her name know, has released pictures of one that she claims was stealing apples off her back porch. Experts that have studed the photos say they are not fake. Take a look and see what you think. www.lorencoleman.com/myakka.html

Lthomas

What is real interesting is the location. Here in Fla we have a diverse habitat that will accomodate most any species. Another thing about Fla is it has allways attracted folks whom have a wierd taste for exotic pets. In the wilds of Fla all kinds of wierd pets have been found that were released into the wild. Most often released by a person whom is looking over an estate of a recently departed person. Instead of having the animals put down they see no harm in releasing them into the wild. They often figure it is what the owner would want. Suppose this thing "Skunkape" dose exhist. I would propose that it was at one time some persons pet orangutan. From the photos on the web site given, it looks way too much like an orangutan. From hearing about all the types of exotics that are caught and killed each year here in Fl thru the paper and TV news, I would not be at all suprised.

Handgunner

My uncle has owned a holiday park on the Florida Everglades for nearly 40 years I guess. He guides fishing trips, gives airboat rides and tours, etc...

He swears they exist.

letsgohuntin

Man thats a shaggy looking thing...I bet he is miserable on these hot Florida afternoons!

I gotta agree with Lthomas... as much as I would like to believe he is a new species (bigfoot type animal) he looks like an exotic pet that has been released and living wild.

WSB

I also agree and think it is orangutan that was set free or escaped from some zoo. Could be the pics were taken in a wild life park at night and they are trying to pass them of as something there not.

Lostoutlaw

Aww come on fellows it is dat dope smokin monkey of LT's:biggrin2:

Lthomas

Oh the adventures I would have with a dope smokin monkey.

Swamprat

Swamprat
I thought I smelled a Skunk Ape one time till I realized it was my brother out in the palmettos taking a dump.:rofl:

Who is to say. The BFO had a search in Lake County going on in Janaury and they had some positive findings till they found out they was camping to close to Paisley. It was then they realized that at least a hundred of them critters preferred Busch beer.

SADDADDY

Swamprat said:
I thought I smelled a Skunk Ape one time till I realized it was my brother out in the palmettos taking a dump.:rofl:

Who is to say. The BFO had a search in Lake County going on in Janaury and they had some positive findings till they found out they was camping to close to Paisley. It was then they realized that at least a hundred of them critters preferred Busch beer.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ah the Ol' Skunk Monkey:banana:

they been known to do alot of drinking around Sarasota, it's more than likely one dude got dressed up in a monkey suit and scared his buddies while sitting around having a few beers:cheers:

they are around, some one spotted on Not to far from where I use to live there off S.R. 520 few years back:hair:

Mojo^

There were multiple sightings of a shunk ape around the Perry, GA area back in the 70's. But then again, it was the 70's and people were seeing lot's of weird things. Even though most of the 70's were somewhat of a blurr, I do remember reading about that in the newspaper, I think.

Dawg In the Swamp

Thats just ole looty since he went underground.

Vapor 300

I've seen alot of weid things over the years hunting in the glades and I know a few old timers that believe they are in the glades . But I have not seen one in all of my years hunting there . Off the topic . But this reminds me of the time I asked the FWC who was the person counting pathers in the glades . Also how did he or she not recount them in their national count . I never got a answer . Just hope I don't see him in Landsburg . It will make a nice fur coat .:fine: :rofl:

slimbo

Im not saying that I think that skunk apes are running rampant in florida, but I do think there are species that noone knows about. Take into consider that woodpecker in arkansas and that fish they thought was extinct that was caught in the indian ocean. I thing some of these weird creatures exist but not neccesarily all of them.

slimbo

holadude

That woodpecker is still debatable. The only people that saw it was someone desperate for funding and other people connected. There has been no verification by anyone except those who are receiving financial grants for finding it.

Bow Only

Hard to imagine a large primate having enough food to live in the Glades. It certainly won't eat what the other primates of the world eat. I doubt they exist in Florida, some Amry Apache pilot would have seen them with his FLIR by now.

Swamprat

Swamprat
They have seen them but just think that it is the cocaine cowboys scattering.

Gadget

I actually know the guys who started this hoax back in the 70's and 80's.

They owned an airboat ride buisness and wanted to boost revenue, it worked.

It's a modified ape suit. I was at the guys house this year when I was turkey hunting in Big Cypress Preserve. They still have the suit and all the pictures.

Hawkeye

Well guys I have to confess, I and another friend started the whole skunk ape thing in the Fla Everglades.

After we seeing the movie about the supposed big foot in oregon I think(The patterson film) back in the late 60s early 70s, I was a medical student at UM and I had a very good friend that used to take me hunting, he was about 6'7" tall.

So I constructed feet out of plywood ,wire mesh and plaster of paris, my friend would strapped them to his boots and we made tracks all over an area called monroe station on US 41, this is where all the swamp buggies would go in and there was a lot of mud, then we made some about 25 miles west of there on Turner River Road
by the town of Ochopee.

Then the public's imagination took over and people started to report break ins by a large ape, a lady claim she ran one over on US 27 and she had car damage (Probably a pig or bear) it got so wild ,the Fla Game Commission had a local meeting in Miami and declared big foot protected at a meeting with hundreds of hunters.

All we could do was to crack up at the gullability of people.

I grew up in the florida Everglades, there is probably not one square mile that I have not being to, in the past 47 years, I have never seen no monkey nor tracks of such.

As mentioned here we do have now a number of exotics running around ,even inside the city of miami, so an arangutan is not far fetched , after all the hurricanes we had many escape.

After andrew I shot and killed 3 baboons that attacked my dogs Just south of Miami in my orange grove.

But as far as Big foot it was a thing of my imagination.

Gadget

Hawkeye said:
Well guys I have to confess, I and another friend started the whole skunk ape thing in the Fla Everglades.

After we seeing the movie about the supposed big foot in oregon I think(The patterson film) back in the late 60s early 70s, I was a medical student at UM and I had a very good friend that used to take me hunting, he was about 6'7" tall.

So I constructed feet out of plywood ,wire mesh and plaster of paris, my friend would strapped them to his boots and we made tracks all over an area called monroe station on US 41, this is where all the swamp buggies would go in and there was a lot of mud, then we made some about 25 miles west of there on Turner River Road
by the town of Ochopee.

Then the public's imagination took over and people started to report break ins by a large ape, a lady claim she ran one over on US 27 and she had car damage (Probably a pig or bear) it got so wild ,the Fla Game Commission had a local meeting in Miami and declared big foot protected at a meeting with hundreds of hunters.

All we could do was to crack up at the gullability of people.

I grew up in the florida Everglades, there is probably not one square mile that I have not being to, in the past 47 years, I have never seen no monkey nor tracks of such.

As mentioned here we do have now a number of exotics running around ,even inside the city of miami, so an arangutan is not far fetched , after all the hurricanes we had many escape.

After andrew I shot and killed 3 baboons that attacked my dogs Just south of Miami in my orange grove.

But as far as Big foot it was a thing of my imagination.

Well I guess there's two parties that claim to have started it then. The people I know did not fake the tracks like you, they had the whole suit. They even walked along I-27 and chrome ave. down in the sawgrass to allow some motorists to see them, a couple of em got pictures that were printed in the Miami Herald and such.

Several other pictures were made off Turner River Rd in Big Cypress where one of the guys still lives to this day. He owns some property in Bear Island too.

Hawkeye

The Monkey suit scam came much later, there is feller in Ochopee that owns a suveniar shop and he has faked many videos with a monkey suit, that feller was a child when we did those things and I guess it impressed so, that he has even been in the news here in miami.

You see I have being a taxidermist for over 40 years and I know a fake animal when I see one, specially this one he showed recently on Wlrn Channel 7, where an ape thing was walking from woods to woods, you can see the arm pits hangin down , animals and primates including man have the skin under the arm tight against the body and muscle.

Also it walks like a man with short strides, much different than the one the Patterson film which shows huge muscles on the thigh and arm pits and took long steps.

There are many many people that still hunt in that area that know who we are and what we did.

Sam Ford, Charlie Perry, they all have land in that area so did I until the park service bought me out a few years ago.

So it might be you know some of the people that were in it with us,****