Best load

trophyslayer

one that kills turkeys!.... but seriously it all depends on the pattern with the shot/choke/gun combo

Dupree

Best factory load Imo is the federal heavyweight 7's.

moto

i've shot a variety of loads, but i go with what the gun likes best. in my mossberg, she like's feds. my win likes winchesters

BOFF

What do you think the best turkey load is

Can be answered in many ways, but what ever load consistently shoots out of your gun, in a reliable pattern.

For me, I strive to get as many pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards, while still having a good spread in the 20" circle to account for error on the hunter. If it's less than 100 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards, I, and I write again, "I" wouldn't shoot the shell in my gun for a turkey load.

God Bless,
David B.

3chunter

Hevi shot and winchester extended #5's have never let me down!

If it's less than 100 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards, I, and I write again, "I" wouldn't shoot the shell in my gun for a turkey load.

God Bless,
David B.

Will a 100 pellets of #7 hevi shot in a 10" circle kill a turkey at 40 yards???

Just curious;)

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
What do you think the best turkey load is

The best load is the one that patterns best on a turkey head sized target at a reasonable range in your particular gun. That shot size and shell manufacturerer could vary. Only way to find out is to try them.

We used to use just plain old 2 3/4 inch #6 shot. Or #4s, or #5s. There was a time when there wasn`t any such thing as specialized shot like there is now. You used what you had. And we killed turkeys just fine with em. Dead is dead, after all.

BgDadyBeardBustr

Gone But Not Forgotten
The best load is the one that patterns best on a turkey head sized target at a reasonable range in your particular gun. That shot size and shell manufacturerer could vary. Only way to find out is to try them.

We used to use just plain old 2 3/4 inch #6 shot. Or #4s, or #5s. There was a time when there wasn`t any such thing as specialized shot like there is now. You used what you had. And we killed turkeys just fine with em. Dead is dead, after all.

Nic, I have toted a many a #4's in 2 3/4 inch pheasant loads. We hunted rabbits and turkeys with the same shell. That is what we bought and we killed plenty with them! Kind a hard on the shoulder back in the day when rabbit hunting in Hawkensville, but we loved it! Then with a turkey at 20 yards, they would get the job done as well! Tim