A visit with TED

blues brother

A couple of days after Christmas I took my two boys over to meet Travis Daniel aka TED. The purpose of the trip was to let them pick out the knife they wanted Mr. Travis to build for them. My oldest picked out a very nice skinner and the youngest picked out an awesome tanto. Kind of a late Christmas gift, but I wanted them to pick out their knife.

Both boys drooled over the dagger that Mr. Travis showed us. It has a tapered tang, dovetail bolster, decreative pins and some georgous presentation grade desert ironwood.
My photo does not do it justice. I took some other pics trying to show the tang and pins but they did not come out very good.

Anyway, Thanks again for your time and awesome coffee!

Attachments

• TED DAGGER GON.jpg
    TED DAGGER GON.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 302

tedsknives

Hey mike, thanks for posting that. Wooddog and win280, thanks for the kind words

blues brother

Sorry it took me so long Mr. Travis...and wish I was a better photographer.

See you this weekend at Chehaw...I hope. Gonna cook you a nice chicken with no salt or pig fat on it...just in time to start your new healthy diet.::ke:

Razor Blade

Another beautiful knife . Scott

nkbigdog

Saweet craftsmanship Ted!!! BB times like that your kids will never forget and cherish....Not store bought but hand made by a craftsman for them..You should be proud, I know they are...Kodo's:cool:

Anvil Head

Travis is as fine a gentleman as he is knifemaker (maybe even a tad better if that's possible). Your boys got treasures for sure.

Nice dagger Travis....you ought to try forging one....double the pleasure, double the fun.

tedsknives

Thank you Carl for the nice compliment. I think im getting to old to swing that hammer even though I did enjoy it.

blues brother

Travis is as fine a gentleman as he is knifemaker (maybe even a tad better if that's possible). Your boys got treasures for sure.
Nice dagger Travis....you ought to try forging one....double the pleasure, double the fun.

Yes sir...they do! It was special for them to meet the man that is making their knives and get to pick out the blade and handle material. I got a feeling they will be visiting Mr. Travis on their own.

Anvil Head

Hey Travis, only as old as you let yourself feel. Besides it's not the power in the strike, it's the finesse and control of what the strike accomplishes. I've had young kids do some phenominal work at Trackrock, using light hammers. Once they figure the mechanics of the hammer & anvil, they do really well.
My "star" student is only 9, he started when he was 4 1/2! He now can hold his own steel and forge without assistance. He has done double edge daggers, hunters, skinners, etc. A real delight to watch him work, you betcha!

BB - Not to try and "steel" Travis's thunder, but you are welcome to bring the boys up to my Trackrock Hammer-in the end of March (30, 31, & 1), and see how the other half makes knives with fire & steel. We may even be able to let them test drive a hammer & anvil.
I will be posting particulars soon, but the date is solid.
Trackrock Campground is one of the best private ones in the SE. (www.trackrock.com)

blues brother

Hey Travis, only as old as you let yourself feel. Besides it's not the power in the strike, it's the finesse and control of what the strike accomplishes. I've had young kids do some phenominal work at Trackrock, using light hammers. Once they figure the mechanics of the hammer & anvil, they do really well.
My "star" student is only 9, he started when he was 4 1/2! He now can hold his own steel and forge without assistance. He has done double edge daggers, hunters, skinners, etc. A real delight to watch him work, you betcha!

BB - Not to try and "steel" Travis's thunder, but you are welcome to bring the boys up to my Trackrock Hammer-in the end of March (30, 31, & 1), and see how the other half makes knives with fire & steel. We may even be able to let them test drive a hammer & anvil.
I will be posting particulars soon, but the date is solid.
Trackrock Campground is one of the best private ones in the SE. (www.trackrock.com)

Thank you sir for the invite...if I am off that weekend I will head up that way and check it out. Mr. Travis has bragged on your skills several times in my visits with him. I'll DRAG a youngun with me too!

Anvil Head

BB - we cater to the "younguns" in everybody.
Hey it is every boy's dream......playing with fire, beating on things with a hammer, handling knives, making lots of noise and getting real dirty! What's not to like!
Besides, if you get bored there's a fishing pond, horseback riding, trail hiking/biking, playground for the smaller ones, or you could just talk shop with our BBQ caterer. Scenry taint bad neither.

ps - Travis is a great guy, but he is a knifemaker. We stretch the truth as easily as we stretch metal and leather.