Whats the penalty for hunting without Hunters Safety Course

walleyeman

If you have your hunting license, but have never taken hunters safety course, would you get in trouble with the law and if so what is the penalty?

mtr3333

Banned
Well you gave false information to get your license for one. I'm sure there is more to follow.

T.P.

Banned
Not required before a certain year? Most older folks have never taken one.

Edit to add: Not required if born before 1-1-1961.

lcopeland22

beilieve that as long as your over 30 years old you dont need one, something like that sure somebody will look it up.

If you didn't need the course to get your license, then there is no penalty, as it is not required.

If you lied, I doubt a DNR ranger will bother to check, unless you have committed a significant violation of hunter safety.

Then you are on the hook. The least of which will be lying.

Go take the darn course. It's a good course and you won't have to ask what the penalty for not doing it is.

I'll throw this out there as well.

There is a hunter that shot and killed a woman hanging laundry in her yard this year. He was charged with a form of manslaughter, I believe. The requirement for that charge requires he killed her while committing another crime. The other crime he was charged with was hunting while unlicensed.

If you have a license that was obtained under false pretenses, then an argument can be made that your license was null and void, and you were actually hunting while unlicensed.

Again, go take the course and possibly avoid significant complications that will be more inconvenient than taking the course would be.

georgia_home

DOB min / max requirements considered, I do find it silly that the law says you must have passed the test but will still issue he license without verifying. Oh well.

If enforcement is that silly, I'd imagine that the penalty for getting caught is pretty close to nothing.

Reading some of the hall of shame items, people get a slap on the wrist for much worse.

Bo Webb

Copied from the DNR web site:

Hunter Education Requirements
Residents and non-residents born on or after January 1, 1961 must successfully complete a hunter education course prior to purchasing a season hunting license. However, a hunter education course is not required to purchase an Apprentice License or a three (3) day Combo Hunting/Fishing License. Hunter education courses certified or mandated by any state wildlife agency or Canadian province are accepted. Hunter Education is not required to hunt on one's own land or land of a parent or guardian. Course options include a FREE classroom course, a FREE CD-ROM course or three online courses (with varying fees). Students may request a copy of the FREE CD-ROM from any Game Management or Law Enforcement office.

Replacement Certificates
Anyone who completed a Georgia hunter education course and needs a replacement Hunter Education Certificate can click here and print one for FREE.

Hunters Under Age 12
Hunters under age 12 are not required to complete a hunter education course. However, no one under age 12 may hunt unless under direct supervision, i.e. within sight or hearing of licensed adult (at least 18 years old) hunter. It is unlawful for an adult to permit their child or ward under age 12 to hunt unsupervised. Special restrictions apply to Wildlife Management Areas (WMA's) & National Wildlife Refuges (NWR's).

Hunters Age 12 - 15
Must complete a hunter education course prior to hunting unless under direct supervision of a licensed adult hunter. It is unlawful for an adult to permit their child or ward (12-15) to hunt without adult supervision unless the child possesses a hunter education certificate while hunting. See other special rules for WMA's.

Hunters Age 16 - 25
Must present a hunter education certificate when purchasing a season hunting license and must possess the certificate while hunting.

Hunters Over Age 25
Hunters over age 25 and born after January 1, 1961 must meet hunter education course requirements but need not present their hunter education certificate when buying a season hunting license or possess it while hunting.

IMHO; not following these rules would make you a "Poacher" and we don't like "Poachers".

Coastie

A thousand years in jail and pay off the national debt.

westcobbdog

yeah that would be illegal to hunt if you are younger than 51 or so without the safety card, don't have to have on you but must have taken the course. Spend $15 or so, take the online course, then take the 1 hr refresher course, pass the easy test and you are legal for lifetime.

RNC

If you were born after the cutoff date 1-1-61....... just go take the test .....its free an you mite learn sumpthin :)

treehugger49

Though I'm old enough to bypass the requirement, I sat through the course with my step-son when he was twelve, and found the course informative and enjoyable.

An added benefit is that if you ever go West for a hunt, many of those states require a hunter safety card in order to issue a license, regardless of ones age.

Sterlo58

If you were born after the cutoff date 1-1-61....... just go take the test .....its free an you mite learn sumpthin :)

Amen.

Tvveedie

Banned
good place to meet chicks too.