20 ga 870

jeremy1217

I was looking to buy a Remington 870 20 ga. Whats your guys opinion on barrell lenght. I've found a youth model that has a 21" shotgun barrell and a 20" slug barrell for $325.

georgia_home

i've toyed with the idea of both the 1187 and 870 in the compact format.

i really like the shorter smooth bore barrel, 21". they are a little harder to come by imho, after market. i think the slug barrels are a bit easier to acquire.

the one benefit of the smooth bore is (assuming the slug barrel is rifled) is you can use it for everything.

i do have the smooth slug barrel, with rifle sites, on my 12 express. i love it, it turns on a dime, and comes up well. a great drive / thick gun. in time, a 20, probably 1187 will come home with me.

Gut_Pile

that's a good deal on that gun and they are shooters. federal hw #7's and a remington SF choke will do all you need to kill gobblers out to 40+ yards

BgDadyBeardBustr

Gone But Not Forgotten
Jeremy, that is a great gun for a great price!

Just a word of caution for anyone that thinks they can get the most out of a cantilever slug barrel on an 11-87, 20 gauge. Make sure you get a straight stock and not the monte carlo stock! My Daughter's new 11-87 is costing me an arm and a leg but she will be able to hunt anything once I get the straight stock in. I have a brand new barrel waiting to go on it still in the box. Thought I might could get by with out it until I put it to my shoulder! It shoots high due to not being able to get your head down on the receiver! Next will be a Turkey Choke! Ammo was ordered today for Turkey Season! Good Luck, Tim

icdedturkes

I shoot an 870 26 inch.. The girlfriend shoots an 870 21 inch and a buddy has the 1187 with the 21 inch barrel. Wanting to switch from the Hevi 13 7s to the FEd Hw 7s we did a ton of shooting last year.

After shooting each gun with: Rem Sup Full 570, Undertaker 572, Pure Gold Tempest 555 and 570, Angle Port 570 and TG SSX 550.. All three guns preferred the TG SSX.. Each gun patterned in the 140-150 range at 35 or so degrees.. Second being the Tempest 555. The three guns I shot did not respond well to the chokes in the 570 range contrary to popular results..

I have found with these shells the short barreled guns hold their own against the longer barreled ones..

jeremy1217

well i went ahead and bought the 870, can't wait to try this thing out. I'm sure the recoil will be nothing compared to the 3.5" 835 that i have been hunting with lol thx for the help guys

georgia_home

which barrel?

georgia_home

you got a very good deal!

harryrichdawg

I have the 21" smooth bore on my 870 12 gauge and love it. Really wish I hadn't sold the 21" smooth bore 11-87 barrel I used to have. Would love to find another for the right price. The pump would get retired. The 11-87 is my favorite, but I hate the 26" barrel for turkeys.