scrathcing in the leaves

turkeys101

i tried this for the first time last year once or twice and did get a response from it.....do any of yall do this to close the deal.....can yall give me some edviece for doing it

thanks,
nathan

M Sharpe

It works

sman

I do it on close birds that hang up just out of sight.

I try to leave a small pile of leaves beside the tree I sit at and just rake them back and forth with my hand while making soft purrs.

Hunter Haven

A many of birds have died from the help of leaves being scratched....

Just sayin...

when I was boy I sat next to my dad for 4 hours. Ten yard in the woods off a field edge watching a tom. All he did for the last 2 hours was scrathching leaves and i watched the tom walk that field egde all the way to us..

Last edited:

Unicoidawg

Staff member
That is a DEADLY tactic of many turkey slayers........ I have waxed a few highly pressured wma birds by calling softly then shutting up and just scratching every now and then. It works......:shoot:;)

WOODSWIZE

Yep, works. I get a small dead stick with maybe a fork in it when I sit down -use it as a kind of "rake" to scratch around.

Arrow3

A many of birds have died from the help of leaves being scratched....

Just sayin...

I know one hoss from last year died from it...It was the last thing he ever heard...:biggrin2:

nhancedsvt

Banned
I've done it and I'll keep doing it. Just another trick in the bag.

antnye

It's deadly....

Timber1

BANNED
I have watched gobblers just scratch in the leaves and never put their head down to feed. They will scratch and just listen. Sometimes they will scratch, wait a few seconds, then gobble.
If you try it just make sure the bird is not where he can see you move ......and make sure you don't break any sticks.

bucktail

Last year had one come in above me but would never show. Just kept walking back and forth up there. Two scratch in a leave pile got him to pick his head up and look over the rise... he tasted good!!

nativ

deadly. couple of swift scratches durin soft calling seals it up...

bangbird

i tried this for the first time last year once or twice and did get a response from it.....do any of yall do this to close the deal.....can yall give me some edviece for doing it

thanks,
nathan

Take a plastic grocery bag with you and use it. My buddy does this and has had birds come running to him without even using a turkey call (besides the bag).

goblr77

I've been toting a real turkey wing in the back of my vest for years. I use it for flydowns and scratching in the leaves. Scratching works great for hung up birds and complements blind calling from roost setups in the afternoon. Give it a try.

Latest posts