baiting legal???

nativ

im new to Georgia hunting. I acquired a lease for turkey season in Coleman Georgia. I heard you can bait deer in some areas. what is the rule with turkeys? I love turkey huntin because of the interaction and challenge it offers, so to me its not necessary but I am interested in if you can or not.

fredw

Retired Moderator
Baiting for turkeys is illegal in Georgia. As a part of the law allowing baiting for deer in South Georgia, penalties for baiting turkey/bear became more costly. Check out the hunting regulations for more information.

gobble157

Im pretty sure that's a big ole' negative.

nativ

good deal. just makin sure my neighbors wont be baiting on either end of my property

nativ

any southwest ga turkey hunters with a report from last spring?

MKW

HaHa...it's just that "is baiting legal?" is NOT a question that I would trust to be answered by any message board...I'd look that one up myself!! Serious consequences if some internet expert steers you wrong.
I just found it funny, so I was playing along. :stir:

Mike

nhancedsvt

Banned
Crickets work good. I usually pick one or two legs off each of them too so that I can make sure they'll stay in a specific area.

fredw

Retired Moderator
HaHa...it's just that "is baiting legal?" is NOT a question that I would trust to be answered by any message board...I'd look that one up myself!! Serious consequences if some internet expert steers you wrong.
I just found it funny, so I was playing along. :stir:

Mike
Isn't that the truth. It amazes me that we frequently see posts that should be directed to a Doctor, an attorney, Law Enforcement, a Pastor, or maybe even to a spouse.:huh:

nativ

simple question. if you don't know you don't have to answer. like I said, im not and will not bait even if it was legal. simply curiosity

nativ

good to know so many ga hunters actually know the rules enough to give someone an answer:rofl:

fredw

Retired Moderator
nativ, from the Georgia hunting regs:

It is unlawful for any person to hunt any game animal (except as noted below) or game bird upon, over, around, or near any place where any corn, wheat, or other grains, salts, apples, or other feed or bait has been placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered so as to constitute a lure, attraction, or enticement to such game animals or game birds. It shall also be unlawful to hunt any game animal or game bird upon, over, around, or near any such place for a period of 10 days following complete removal of all such feed or bait.

The placing of any feed or bait and the hunting of any game or feral hog over such feed or bait on Wildlife Management Areas is prohibited.

Any person who takes any big game, other than in accordance with the following exceptions, shall upon conviction be guilty of a misdemeanor of a high and aggravated nature and subject to a fine not to exceed $5,000 or imprisonment not to exceed 12 months, or both.

The exceptions are deer in the southern zone and feral hogs.

nativ

thanks. now I know my turkeys wont be gettin fed elsewhere while im wondering where they r goin. preciate it

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Crickets work good. I usually pick one or two legs off each of them too so that I can make sure they'll stay in a specific area.

:rofl: :rofl:

And if the turkeys don't eat all of'em, you've still got some good easy-to-catch bream bait.

Last edited:

Bo D

My neighbors plant chufa plots, year after year...dont know if they hunt on it tho, but I think plots are legal.