Question for you guys that have tried the 20ga

J Gilbert

I'm interested in finding out whether anyone that has went to a 20ga turkey gun has gone back to a 12ga, and why or why not. Thanks guys

whitetail hunter

I'm 14 I started shooting a 20ga with a reddot at 8years old I liked it but never felt like I could reach out there too far now I shoot a 12ga remington 870supermag with 3 1/2inch shells I just like to be able to reach out there and ring ones bell at 50yards

J Gilbert

That's absolutely possible with a 20, it has the exact same power as a 12ga, just less pellets

WFL

That's absolutely possible with a 20, it has the exact same power as a 12ga, just less pellets

40 to 45 all day long and have had a report of 51 with the HV-13 7's. :banana:

nhancedsvt

Banned
I hunt with a 20 and don't see myself going back to a 12...in fact I traded my 12 off for a duck gun.

Huntinfool

If it's any indication, after I converted my H&R Pardner Jr. to a turkey gun, I sold my 12 gauge turkey killer.

I've been hunting with it for something like 3 or 4 years now and it has yet to fail to kill a turkey that it aimed at. Plus, I never know it's on my shoulder even if I carry it all day long.

Yes, less pellets. I just feel like the advantages outweigh any disadvantage at this point.

Huntinfool

40 to 45 all day long and have had a report of 51 with the HV-13 7's.

Killed one last year at 52 (did not realize it was that far and wouldn't intentionally do it again) with my 20. Federal Heavy's in #7.

I wouldn't advise trying a 20 at that distance. But like I said, it did the job even though I made a distance judgement error. His head was not covered in pellets. In fact, I'm pretty sure only 1 or 2 got him. But....he's in the freezer none-the-less.

cowhornedspike

Can't see any reason I will ever change back to a 12 for turkeys.

MKW

Been hunting with a 20ga turkey gun for about 9 seasons. Killed a lot of turkeys with them. Will never hunt with a 12ga for turkeys again. I never feel under-gunned. At ranges in which I am willing to shoot at a turkey, a 20ga is just fine. In fact, I hunt everything that can be hunted with a shotgun, with a 20ga.

Mike

Curtis-UGA

I am looking foward to giving mine a try. Just ordered all the accessories to turn my 870 youth model into a turkey killa! I know it's a heck of alot easier to carry and handle than my 835!

hawglips

Banned
I'm thinking of ditching my 20 ga and going with a 28 ga. It has plenty of pattern density and penetration energy out to past 50 yds, and it's very light. Of course, it has to be loaded right.

However, I like to shoot different guns, so I'll probably tote the 12, 20, 28 and .410 at least one day each this spring.

icdedturkes

I will never go back.. My X2 turkey barrel is clogged with dust.. As many have stated the ranges I intend to shoot 40 and in, i have a 100 percent kill pattern.. Cant ask for much more.

GA DAWG

They couldn't hire me for benelli to go back to shooting a 12ga. No use to own one. I sold all but my oldest 12's. J.Gilbert you wanna shoot a nice 20 to see if you like them. Come try mine.

J Gilbert

Thanks for the replies guys, I've hunted with a 2020 for the last few years with excellent results. I was just wondering if anyone had changed back, and I'm not surprised with the results at all. I'm using this as a frame of reference for an article I'm writing