Buckshot chokes

fredw

Retired Moderator
Tell me what you're shooting.

My Browning Maxus does fairly well with the factory full choke and 3.5 inches of 00 buck. Before next season, I'd like to play around with some custom chokes and see how much I can improve my pattern/effective range.

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
Tell me what you're shooting.

My Browning Maxus does fairly well with the factory full choke and 3.5 inches of 00 buck. Before next season, I'd like to play around with some custom chokes and see how much I can improve my pattern/effective range.

My 1187 Supermag shoots the best pattern with an Improved cylinder choke and 3.5 in. 00 Buck. This is what i'm decimating the hog herds with over feeders. i like killing 3-5 with a single shot from 20 yards or so. I tried modified and full but the patterns had a lot of flyers.

georgia_home

On my 870, I used IC just because that what my smooth slug barrel was. On drives, I'd just move to buck. That thing would turn on a dime, and point well.

On the 1187, I always did mod, I could switch back and forth for slugs or buck.

At our place, on drives, we were only allowed to use buck. I go quickly back to slugs with no changes for morning and evening hunts.

asc

I put a 21" barrel on my 1100, improved works the best, full put shot everywhere.
Maybe one day I'll find a 1100 in Special Field..:fine:

fredw

Retired Moderator
Thanks to everyone for the input. I ordered a custom choke from Sumtoy this morning. Stay tuned for some pattern results.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
My 870 Express shoots the best tight pattern with #1, 3 inch magnum buckshot out of a modified choke. Everything and other chokes just spray.

bullsprig1100

My 870 12 ga shoots best with Federal Premium 00 Buck out of a PatternMaster. With that being said, I am having some difficulty finding the old style Federal Premium 00 BUCK ammo......The new Federal 00 BUCK doesnt shoot as tight....

JpEater

My 1187 Supermag shoots the best pattern with an Improved cylinder choke and 3.5 in. 00 Buck. This is what i'm decimating the hog herds with over feeders. i like killing 3-5 with a single shot from 20 yards or so. I tried modified and full but the patterns had a lot of flyers.

If your killing more than one animal at only 20 yards, you don't have a tight pattern. :rofl:

JpEater

I shoot Winchester 3" #1 Buck through my factory Remington Full choke. It was the best, tightest pattern for my 1187. I have never lost a deer with this gun. The pattern and load has done amazing for quick kills on dog drives. I have killed ten deer with it in the last two years of dog hunting. One of those at 67 yards and one at 62 yards. Both dropped in their tracks.

haskell

You guys know this, for newbies though, tighter is not always better. Read carefully what these guys do. Pattern their guns with different loads and different size buckshot. I have a 28" modified choke on my 870, shoots the newer Federal 00 loads real well. A lot of our old guys shoot side by sides and the more compulsive actually use different shells in the right and left barrels. For the more open bore, several use #1 buck with 00 in the tighter side.

ylhatch

yall shoot remington buckshot out of a full choke,you will throw that other stuff away

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
If your killing more than one animal at only 20 yards, you don't have a tight pattern. :rofl:

Actually, my pattern is roughly a little over 20 inches in circumference. I wait till all the piggy heads are lined up or close together under the feeder before the trigger pull.
Works for me, but your mileage may vary. :cheers:

Whiteeagle

Remington 11-87 Premier, 1st issue, loves 3" 00 thru a modified choke tube.

haskell

Any comments on rifled chokes and saboted slugs? Have not needed that set up, always used 00 buck in a 30" full choke model 12, which was what I had -- and 00 buck was what everyone else used. Just curious

simpleman30

remington 870 12 ga
3" 00 remington buckshot
puregold .696 turkey choke

this has been my setup for years and i patterned it again this weekend. at 30 steps, only 6 buckshot hit the target. i was beyond surprised. i shot a couple more times and each time, no more than 6 pellets hit the target. my buddy let me borrow his CompNchoke and it put all 15 pellets in a 12" square at 30 steps. i guess a choke can wear out or expand over years of use. not to make excuses, but now i'm really beginning to think that all the deer i missed last season was because of my choke setup. in the 5 or 6 years i've been using that combination of gun, buckshot, and choke tube, i didn't miss as many deer as i missed last year alone. things that make you go hmmmm...

When setting up a shotgun for small pellet buckshot ,(#1B through 000B), I reject any gun/choke/load combination that will not keep the entire load in a 10 inch circle at 25 yards.

grouper throat

I will be shooting a dead coyote choke out of a Mossberg 535. I also have a beretta 390 for backup. I don't like a really tight patterned shotgun because I missed a few bucks last year by shooting over them. I'm trying 3.5" 4b out of the Mossberg and 3" 1b in the beretta.