Potential Photo-expedition...

rip18

After some discussion over in the photography forum, thought I would float this balloon & see what kind of response was generated...

Who: Photographers of all skill levels & interests.

What: Unofficial Woody’s/GON forum photo trip

Objective: Have a good time, take some (hopefully) good pictures, share what we think we know about photography

When: Late August? Exact date to be determined somewhat by responses. Another thought is to do it during dove season & rent a field for shooting both doves & pictures one morning...

Where: Southwest Georgia – somewhere between Lake Seminole & Albany. Somewhat equidistant from many regular posters in the photoforum & a lot closer for some...

My inclination is for us to rent a lodge & split the costs. I have two in mind that will sleep 8 to 18 people (if we have that much interest). If we don’t have that much, then we can look at other options. The two advantages of renting a larger private property are: 1) we have access to additional private land & 2) somebody will cook for us (I plan for us to be taking pictures early & late when the light is good….). I know we could stay on some of our hunting clubs/private property, but if we are going to take pictures, we don't have time to cook & clean...

Activities:
Photo-expeditions - early & late to either the land where we are staying, Lake Seminole, & other public areas.

Photo-sharing - everybody bring 5 to 10 images either to show or to be critiqued…
Prints are fine
I’ll bring a 35 mm slide projector
I’ll plan to bring a computer projector

Information-sharing - Have a show & tell/technical presentations mid-day & after dark.
Open up camera bags & explain how we use what have (& what to avoid)
How to macro photography presentation by local photographer
Demonstrations of proper "big" lens technique
Comparisons of shots through the day (same shots with different settings by same camera & same shots by multiple photographers.... What works & what almost works & why....)

How does this sound? Any better suggestions? Anything anybody particularly likes or doesn't like?

StriperAddict

If there's no 'hunt' with this, the Mrs. would likely come along :D

Might be a nice single day event for us if we're on our way to FL. Keep us posted.

GeauxLSU

I want NO part of this. It will have me ordering a new camera sure as I'm bald headed! :mad: :eek:

Seriously, probalby too far for me to make but sounds like a GREAT idea! I'll look forward to some of the pics though! :cool:

Lthomas

I have held a couple work shops for friends and others that have been interested in photography and large format photography. All the ones I have held were done at Cedar Key and St Augustine.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I surely like the sounds of this!!

slimbo

Works for me. Any of the above options. Just keep us posted.

slimbo

rip18

Sounds good so far.

LThomas, any thoughts or suggestions?

gadeerwoman

Also a great way to get kids interested in both the outdoors and photography!! Plenty of inexpensive digital cameras out on the market now for the kids to learn on. Doubt I can make it but it sounds like a terrific idea!:cool:

Bubba_1122

I'd be very interested.

I definately have a lot to learn.

And from looking at what's been posted by some of you folks, there's some very talented folks in here with a lot of knowledge to share.

StriperAddict

Bubba_1122 said:
I'd be very interested.

I definately have a lot to learn.

And from looking at what's been posted by some of you folks, there's some very talented folks in here with a lot of knowledge to share.

That's why I'm gonna make every effort to get on down there for it myself !

:flag:

Razorback

rip18,

Hmmmmmmmmm!

Sounds good. I'll be in Orlando from 25-29 August for the Florida Professional Photographers Convention & Trade Show.:cheers: :hammers:

If it happens earlier in the month & I can make it, I can try to weasel some cool toys from my reps for some show & tell.

Not to high jack this tread but my Canon training rep is bringing a 500mm f4 USM IS L :hair: lens and leaving it with us for the weekend! :banana: If I give my reps a long enough lead time I can usualy get a DSLR, lenses & other cool gooodies to loan & play with.

I keep checking in,

Razor

Hoss

Sounds interesting. August is not a great month for me. Got birthdays and an anniversary in that month. Keep me posted and I'll see if I can work it in. Would definitely be a great experience.

Hoss

bigswamp

Razorback said:
If it happens earlier in the month & I can make it, I can try to weasel some cool toys from my reps for some show & tell.

Not to high jack this tread but my Canon training rep is bringing a 500mm f4 USM IS L :hair: lens and leaving it with us for the weekend! :banana: If I give my reps a long enough lead time I can usualy get a DSLR, lenses & other cool gooodies to loan & play with.

I keep checking in,

Razor

Now that would be neat...hopefully it will work out where everyone that wants to go can.

rip18

Definitely looks like there is interest. Let me see what kind of open dates I can find, etc. for the properties, & I'll post early next week on potential dates...

Lthomas

Sounds like a lot of folks are getting bitten by the shutter bug. To be honest I realy dont see being able to do a work shop. I have been way too busy. Still have a great deal of things to do before bow season begins and not enough time to do it in. We will have to see what dates and places yall come up with.

rip18

All right - looks like things are jelling a little.

I've talked with the owner of the bigger property down in Seminole County. The main property is 5,600 acres with some smaller tracts around also. The lodge is on a spring-fed cypress pond. The property has longleaf/wiregrass, planted pines, hardwood bottoms, cypress swamps, improved & unimproved cattle pasture, and agricultural fields. Easy access to Lake Seminole for more diversity.

The lodge has:
2 bedrooms with queen beds (I've got dibs on one of those if my wife comes)
4 bedrooms with double beds
2 double beds upstairs
couch that folds out into a bed

If we need more beds, he has a nice 36' camper he can hook up beside the lodge or I know 3 or 4 other people in the area who have houses, camps, or trailers...

The owner says $80 a head per night for sleeping, eating excellent grub - 3 squares, & property access.

It is looking like early to mid September will work better - which also raises the possibility of dove shoots (with camera & gun) for an additional fee....

Let's pick a weekend & then see who can come for that weekend....

Everybody put which weekend in September you prefer between now & midnight Saturday July 15 (or send me a PM), and then I'll lock the chosen date in.

This is sounding like fun....

Last edited:

mike bell

:banana:

oh wait, got to ask the better half about going off way down south to take pictures with my camera :love:

::;

Sounds like fun and a great way to learn more about photography. Ive been looking at online photos schools:banginghe

rip18

Way up at the beginning, I talked about having some mini-seminars in the middle of the day or evenings. I think I've talked my buddy (assuming we can get dates to work) into doing his talk on macro-photography for us and joining us in the field for a while. Check out his web site at www.upclosephoto.com

Click on the "Fine Art Photgraphy" link in the upper left & look at his Nature Up Close and Wildflowers Up Close galleries....

Hoss

WOW!!!! Hey Rip did you know this guy is pretty good? Guess he's not eligible for the Blind Hog Photography Club. (Just had to say it.)

Hoss