OH MY GAAA! My Buddy SHOT Out His Window

Hittin Bombs

He Was unloading his gun to put in his Truck. He took the safety off safe to unload it and BAAM :shoot: NO MORE WINDOW!! :eek:

Scared the livin daylights out of us!! Thank Goodness that no one was standing in front of it. The Gun is a Remington model 700 22-250, I also own a Model 700 .270 however I can unload mine while still being in the safety mode. I know one thing for sure, I will always, and I mean always, be very watchful for whoever is with me and ALWAYS KNOW WHERE THE MUZZLE OF BOTH GUNS ARE BEING POINTED!!! :mad:

Last edited:

Woodsong

were you all in the cab of the truck?? Do you have any hearing left???!!!

Praise God you all are both safe.

Hittin Bombs

No we were not in the truck, I was standing behind him talking to another buddy of mine when it went off. My friend who was holding the gun said that his ears were ringing real bad. The funny thing was that the bullet hit the plastic button that you pull up/push down to lock and unlock the door, exploaded on impact(he was using ballistic points), pinched the inner metal door skin against the outer door skin ,which shattered the glass, and never went through the door! To top it off, he just bought the truck less that two months ago. He was terribly upset,shakin and very appologetic, I had to keep telling him that it wasn't his fault and that it could've been worse. Thank the LORD that it wasn't. Anyway.... His new nickname is (M F) Misfire. :D I had to get a smile on his face somehow ::huh:

Handgunner

I'm glad no one was hurt! God was watching out for y'all, no doubt!

Hittin Bombs

Yes, I agree. I think he was watching out for us indeed!! The gun will be heading off the the gunsmith to get repaired before ever being used again.

Craig Knight

Misfire

There was a post about Remington 700's that were recalled because of this problem here on WOODYS at one time or another. I think thats right ,but I could be wrong. ::huh:

H

HT2

Bombs.....

Man brother.....

I'm glad ya'll are alright...... :speechles :speechles :speechles

I believe I'd be gettin' me a new gun.......That's just plain scary!!!!!!!! :speechles :speechles

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Dang Joey that could have been very bad. Glad ya'll are alive and kicking.

Jim

Boyd Green

same thing happened...

to a friend of mine last night. He was shooting a doe and when he pulled the trigger nothing happened. When he let down to investigate the problem the gun went off without the trigger being touched again!!!! :eek:

He was also shooting a Rem 700

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Dang, you guy's are scareing me with these Remington 700's! I guess I'll have to check everyone's make of gun prior to hunting with them from now on... ;)

Actually that's a good reason to unload your weapon just prior to exiting the woods and/or before heading back to camp.

Regardless, glad to hear no one was hurt. The truck can be repaired.

Mitch

I have a Model 700 that requires the safety to be off before you can eject the last bullet. Not sure why the design would require the safety to be off while unloading. Can this be fixed by a gunsmith? Any suggestions on a gunsmith to use near the Cherokee County area?

livetohunt

I'm glad nobody was injuried. This should be a learning experience for everyone to never point your gun at anything you do not want to shoot. Whenever I unload my weapon, the barrel is always and I mean always pointed up in the air.

Guy

Glad you guys are OK.

That's scary. I would be on the phone to Remington!! I think all guns should have the ability to be unloaded with the safety on.

Wasn't this one of the reasons Remington and Ruger and a lot of other Manufacturers went to the three position safety?

Carp

Safety Modification Program

Remington is extending through December 31, 2004, its safety modification program to remove the bolt-lock mechanism from certain Remington bolt-action centerfire firearms made prior to March, 1982. (Post-1982 bolt-action firearms were not manufactured with bolt-lock mechanisms). To determine whether your firearm has a bolt-lock mechanism and is subject to the safety modification program, “click” on the model listed below and follow the directions included.

The unloading process for most bolt-action firearms with a bolt-lock mechanism cannot begin unless the manual safety is placed in the ‘F” or “Off or Fire” position. If you participate in the program your firearm will be modified to eliminate the bolt-lock feature and you will be able to unload your firearm while the safety is kept in the “S” or “ On Safe” position. The operation of your firearm will not otherwise be affected.

Here are the basic program elements:

The firearms will be cleaned and inspected and the bolt lock mechanism will be removed for $20.00 plus shipping and handling.
We will return the gun to you with a $20.00 rebate coupon good towards the purchase of any Remington brand safety product (eye protection, hearing protection, cable and trigger locks, gun cabinets and gun safes.)
Please click on the centerfire model listed below to obtain more information on the program for the specific model, as there are some differences in the program based on model type:

Model 700
Model 600
Model 660
Model 721
Model 722
Model XP-100
Model 40-X
The following bolt-action centerfire firearms are not subject to the Safety Modification Program. Please click on the model for more information on the firearm.

Model 700ML
Sportsman 78
Model 788
Model 725
Model Seven
Model 710
Model 30, 30 Express
If you have a bolt-action rifle with a bolt-lock mechanism, and you do not wish to have the lock removed, you must be sure to follow this IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE: Be sure the rifle is pointing in a safe direction anytime you move the manual safety to the "F" or "Off or Fire" position. As soon as you have lifted the bolt, immediately put the manual safety back in the "S" or "On Safe" position and then continue the unloading process.

Privacy Policy | Terms of Use ©2002 Remington Arms Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved. www.remington.com

stumpman

Banned
my son just got a new tikka t3 stainless lite and it has to be taken off of safe to open the bolt and unload i dont like that my sako has a seperate button to push and the safety stays on this is much safer i think.

gobble79

My son is using my brother in laws Browning 7mm08 that requires the safety to be off to raise the bolt. I don't like it one bit. We had never used a bolt rifle until now. I thought it was plain stupid to have the safety off to load or unload it. This thread has answer several of my questions that I had.

Dough

Vehicle venting

A few years ago, I had a similiar occurence. Buddy was unloading a Rem 700 30/06 and BOOM! Shot a whole in the side of my truck!
He offered to get it fixed, but I left it there, to remind me to ALWAYS be sure where the barrel is pointing and not to rely on a safety.
I forwarded this thread to him! His may have the same "fire on release" problem.