Fishing Day for Disabled Kids

Wt00612

Hi, my name is Will Treadwell and I am a student at Georgia Southern University. I am trying to plan a fishing day for mentally and physically disabled kids in Georgia. I am doing most of the legwork, but I am completely non-profit so I need your guys's help. I am planning on having the event on Saturday July 14th. If anyone knows anybody that could donate rods and reels, tackle, line, or anything that could help I would be so appreciative. Also any monetary donations would help tremendously. I am currently setting up an bank account for donations. I am almost positive that I have a pond we could use, but if anyone has any pond to offer I am up for suggestions. Share this page and if you know of anyone who would like to attend, tell them! Thanks so much you can email me at wt00612@georgiasouthern.edu or call/text me at 404-484-0230

Here is the link to the facebook page I jus started. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fishing-Day-for-Disabled-Kids/294105550656672

Last edited:

bayoubetty

what kind of fishing and how many kids? Are you looking to fish a bream pond in Statesboro? Is GSU affiliated in some way?

Wt00612

No this is all on my own thats why I am having a little trouble trouble. And yes the pond has a lot of bream and some bass. Unless something changes, the pond is going to be in winder, ga north of Atlanta. Unless, of course, someone in another location has a little bit bigger pond and is willing to help out. The pond I have in Winder is kind of small. And, the amount of kids will just depend on who registers. That is why I would like to have a bigger pond just in case. I am just starting out with the planning so any suggestions or help is much appreciated.

bayoubetty

Is this for a charity or organization? I'm sorry to be twenty questions. I think its great what you are wanting to do.

brett30030

Contact the Corp of Engineers office at Buford Dam. They have a private stocked catfish pond for just this type of event. The Lanier Striped Bass Club has adopted the pond and supplies poles, tackle, and fish food. It is slap full of catfish and it has pretty decent access for those with physical limitations. The pond is not open to the public and is behind a fenced area.

Wt00612

Betty this isnt for some type of organization, I just have a passion for disabled kids. I am on the Bass Fishing Team at Georgia Southern and I travel all across the country fishing tournaments. So, I would just like to combine my passions and some day do this on a bigger scale. I got the idea when I was talking to a good friend of mine whos brother has autism. I brought up taking her brother fishing and she described how ecstatic her parents and brother would be to do something like that.

And brett, that is awesome! Thank you so much I will contact them tomorrow.

Joel

This sounds great! My 8 yr old son has lennox gastaut, a severe type of epilepsy. He has seizures almost daily and has significant mental delays. However, he has the same passion for fishing that I do. Please keep us updated as you progress. Good luck!

Wt00612

Wow i definitely will keep everyone updated! Hopefully we can make this happen soon I would love to see you guys out there