Buckmasters Life Hunts

jerry russell

Hey guys,
Just wanted to put this in front of you. I know that many of you are aware that the group that once granted wishes to go on hunting trips to very sick children, stopped doing this some time back because of pressure from anti-hunting groups. To fill the void, Buckmasters picked up the ball and ran with it. Buckmasters Life Hunts helps to organize these hunts for these wonderful children with commerical hunting operations.
I just learned that we will be getting to host one of these wonderful hunters very soon and we are so excited! This has been in the works for some time and it has finally come around for us.

Any way, I wanted to put the Buckmasters Life Hunts information on here for those of you that might be in a position to help these very special folks in some way or maybe you know a child that would benefit from this group.

Thanks for considering this. It is a long read but worth it as this is an organization that is giving something back in a very big way.

From the Buckmasters website:

Life Hunts is a wish-granting service for children and young adults with critical illnesses and diseases. The program was officially founded in 1998 to grant hunting wishes and has served hundreds of children and young adults to date.

We will always accept applications from qualified children for Life Hunts. Because of the anti-hunting sentiment within many medical organizations, it is difficult for us to spread the word through these channels. Please help us get the word out to children's hospitals, cancer centers and councilors! Provide anyone interested with our website link, or contact us for printed information to distribute.

BADF's Life Hunts was founded in 1998 to grant hunting wishes for critically ill and disabled youth age 21 and under. Mainstream wish-granting organizations like Make-A-Wish began refusing such requests, leaving a void for the kids who wanted to fulfill a dream hunt. It is incomprehensible that a child can have a tremendous passion for hunting, have a life-threatening condition, and be told that even though all the other children like them can have any wish granted, that theirs was unreachable. What does a parent tell a child in that situation? It became our mission to provide the resources to meet these very special requests.

For a very sick child, actually going on the hunt and being successful is not always the only benefit. What seems to be invaluable is the anticipation of the hunt. Many of these children go through so much trauma with cancer treatments, surgeries and pain, that having something positive to look forward to has a tremendous impact in their lives.

A letter from Rose Wich, the mother of 9-year-old Timmy Wich, is a perfect example. Timmy was included on a Life Hunt with Three Lakes Preserve in Rhinelander, Wisconsin, in December of 2000. Timmy developed Ewing's Sarcoma (a form of bone cancer) in his ribs, which eventually took his life. Rose, who just recently lost her husband to another form of cancer, had this to say in a recent letter:

"Because of your help, a painful experience was made into one of hope and fun. When Timmy was diagnosed with cancer a year ago, his life became a constant stream of doctor appointments, treatments and hospital stays. He remained relatively positive throughout the ordeal, but the real turning point was when he found out he could go on this deer hunt you arranged. For Timmy, this was his once-in-a-lifetime dream come true. He got so excited as the hunt approached that he told every doctor, nurse and family member about it. He just couldn't stop talking about it. It truly gave him hope! It was amazing to see how much better he felt when not focusing on his illness. I am convinced this hunting experience helped Timmy in so many ways."

Through BADF Life Hunts, Timmy was provided a rifle and hunting equipment. He did make a hunt at Three Lakes Preserve in Wisconsin in 2000, and in spite of the 11 degrees below zero temperatures, he took two fine Wisconsin bucks. Timmy was a wonderful young man and stole the hearts of everyone involved in his special adventure.

Life Hunts facilitates hope, and in some cases has played a role in the recovery of these special hunters from their diseases. Many hunt recipients make it through treatments and therapy to get back into living a normal life again. This is our ultimate goal and prayer -- that every child will be healed and filled with hope and confidence in fellow man.

Although we specialize in providing hunts for white-tailed deer, Life Hunts will work to provide hunts for other species as well.

• How to Apply for a Life Hunt

If you know a child age 21 or under who has a life threatening condition, you can apply for a Life Hunt by printing and filling out the Adobe Acrobat document and mailing it back to us with a good photo of the child. Prior to a hunt being granted, the child and parents will be required to read and sign a release of liability. You will also be required to provide a letter from a primary physician stating the child's condition, and that the proposed hunting activities are approved by the doctor. Click here for Life Hunt Application 2012-2013.

• How You Can Help Life Hunts

The allotment of BADF Life Hunts is contingent upon hunt availability and funding. Individuals and companies wishing to support Life Hunts can contribute to an earmarked fund where all contributions go directly to supporting the Life Hunts program. Guides, outfitters and hunting lodges that offer quality hunting opportunities are also needed for partnership into our program. BADF is a non-profit, tax-exempt 501 C-3 organization. Contributions are tax deductible as allowed by law.

You can support us by making a direct contribution, conducting a fundraiser of your choosing, or organizing a Buckmasters chapter in your area. Buckmasters chapters are similar to those of other conservation organizations like Wild Turkey Federation or Ducks Unlimited, except that the bulk of our proceeds benefit Life Hunters and other people in need. Local Buckmasters chapters also have the option of finding and helping kids in their own home towns.

To contribute, or to offer help on providing quality hunts, please contact:

David Sullivan
BADF Director of Disabled Services
10540 Daystar Drive
Tuscaloosa, AL 35405
(205) 366-8415
email: dsullivan@buckmasters.com

We are always on the lookout for qualified children for Life Hunts. Because of anti-hunting sentiment within many medical organizations it is difficult for us to spread the word through these channels. Please help us get the word out to children's hospitals, cancer centers and counselors! You can provide this website link, or contact us for printed information to distribute.

Attachments

• lifehunts_logo.jpg
    lifehunts_logo.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 80

BBowman

I personally know David, and my son is one who has benefited from the services of the BADF. What they have done for children and adults with severe illnesses and disabilities is incredible. This organization is one I have no trouble endorsing. If you are wanting to help someone during a difficult time in their lives this is your chance. My name is Brian Bowman my email address is brianbowmanRN@aol.com if you have any questions from someone who knows David and the benefits of the work of the BADF please contact me. Thanks, Brian.