Swing and a Miss

wingnut2000

I finally got a shot and missed. Went Sunday morning and heard two birds in same general area. Me and my dad were hunting together. We went to these birds and setup and a dog we heard earlier barking and possibly running a deer barked for 45 minutes or so and got close to us. Im thinking to myself what a wasted morning this dog has messed us up. We just sat still cause we didnt want to get up and leave after we had heard two birds. After waiting 45mins for the dog to get gone we started yelping after things calmed down. We called and called and I think I heard him gobble during the yelping but wasnt sure. Few minutes go buy and i here the bird clucking directly behind us and the only thing to do was to spin around and fling led so I did and he was about 50 steps which shouldnt have been to big of a deal with the gun I had. I shot twice and got nothing.

I can call decently and still have some learning to do but it is late in the season and i havent got one yet which i havent been but a few times so I decide to take my dad who is the best i have ever seen in the woods. There are not too many turkeys that we have heard gobble or just seen and he hasnt been able to call up. I told myself this would be my last outing but I wanted to go again probably next weekend.

JABBO

If all he was doing was clucking you should have waited for him to get closer or possibly walk past yall...

I finally got a shot and missed. Went Sunday morning and heard two birds in same general area. Me and my dad were hunting together. We went to these birds and setup and a dog we heard earlier barking and possibly running a deer barked for 45 minutes or so and got close to us. Im thinking to myself what a wasted morning this dog has messed us up. We just sat still cause we didnt want to get up and leave after we had heard two birds. After waiting 45mins for the dog to get gone we started yelping after things calmed down. We called and called and I think I heard him gobble during the yelping but wasnt sure. Few minutes go buy and i here the bird clucking directly behind us and the only thing to do was to spin around and fling led so I did and he was about 50 steps which shouldnt have been to big of a deal with the gun I had. I shot twice and got nothing.

I can call decently and still have some learning to do but it is late in the season and i havent got one yet which i havent been but a few times so I decide to take my dad who is the best i have ever seen in the woods. There are not too many turkeys that we have heard gobble or just seen and he hasnt been able to call up. I told myself this would be my last outing but I wanted to go again probably next weekend.

HucK Finn

Yep..... well you took a gamble and lost no shame there. I know you didn't ask for any advise, but you prolly would have had a better chance waiting on him to possibly walk past you rather than turning and taking pop shots. (I assume that the turkey saw you turn and was on the run when you shot)

Last edited: