Finially went from Turkey Hunter to Turkey Killer!

Offroadtek

This is my second year hunting turkey and I finially got my first bird. Missed a few oppertunities do to newbie mistakes. I got into a club this past year so I've been hunting there and some at Berry WMA since it's really close, but neither had given me a bird yet.

But Sunday I got me one, and now the story. I hunted Berry WMA in the morning with no luck. Went home, went to church, came back home and was getting ready to work around the house when I hear what I could swear was a gobble in the woods next to my house. But it's 12:30 in the afternoon. I listen and hear it again. It's definitely a gobble but it's not on my property. After he gobbles a couple more times I think to myself "I bet I can call that bird in if he's looking that hard." I run it and throw on my camo shirt and pants over my clothes grab my gun and vest and head into the woods behind my house. I set up about 150 yards back in and do a few yelps on my aluminium pot. He hammers back. Great he coming my way. I let him gobble three times and I'd yelp back. I ended up only calling three times and I hear him coming in close. I drop my call and have my gun in my lap. I start thinking "how can I mess this up? This has been to easy." Then I think of it, I've got my cell phone set to loud and it's in my shorts pocket, UNDER my camo pants, and I'm supposed to be in the yard, my wife could call me since I've been gone a short time now. I lay my hand on the lump that is my phone to hopefully avert Murphy should he visit again. Well I can now see a head bobbing through the brush heading toward the shooting lane. My phone rings. Whew, I was ready for it. I somehow press the side buttons to silence it and wait. As the bird comes into range I slowly raise my gun up and he see's movement and goes into strut for about 2 seconds. Long enough to get a bead on him. I know he realizes I'm not a turkey now so when he stretches to look I let my Hevi fly. He goes down immediately. By the time I walk the 45 yards to him he's not even flapping.

I look close and see he's just bleeding alot from his head. I couldn't find a single pellet in him and only 2 or 3 holes in his head. Guess I pulled it a little high. I pulled the trigger at 1:01p. 9" beard, 3/4" spurs.

My wife loved to point out all the time and money I've spent hunting turkey only to kill one in the middle of the day in my own yard where I can hunt for free.

photo%2520%25282%2529.JPG

Last edited:

TurkeyManiac

Good for you man! Welcome to the club! You are ruined for life now... :clap:

alan

Great story! I killed my first right out of my backyard also!

gwyatt202

Way to go! As turkey hunters we have to try to minimize those things that can go wrong so they don't; glad you remembered your phone!

HucK Finn

Good Job..... its crazy how it works out sometimes.

sman

great story, congratz on your first!

Buford_Dawg

Nice bird...

You just never know when it is going to happen. I was hunting opening day one year. Heard nothing that morning. I am sitting at my camp with my father in law and my uncle having lunch around 1:00. I hear a gobble and ask them if they heard it. They said nope. I heard it again, they said they did not again, LOL. I laid down my sandwich, grabbed my shotgun out of my camper, walked 100 yards from camp, gave one short series of yelps and the bird literally ran to me in a matter of less than a minute. My father in law and uncle still never heard that bird gobble and thought I was hearing things. That was as easy a turkey I have ever killed.

Offroadtek

And I thought I was addicted before.

hawglips

Banned
Congratulations on your first!

harryrichdawg

WTG ORT. Like someone else said, you're ruined for life. I've been ruined ever since I called in my first bird around 9 years ago. I made a bad shot and lost him, but it was still the most excitement I'd ever had while hunting at that time.

ryanwhit

Congrats on your first!! There's nothing else like it!

steveus

Good job on hearing the gobble and going after it. Almost never does a hunt develop like you thought it would.