Full Strut Decoy

OK Question.... I bought a full strut decoy last year on a whim but still havent used it. I've wanted to but I keep hearing that if you dont have a dominant bird coming in it'll intimidate the other younger/ smaller birds. I've got a large fan for it and a jake fan. I guess my question is what ive heard true or does it have specific implications or does it not really matter either way. Any input or advice is welcomed. thanks

mossyoakpro

My experience with full strut decoys are they either come running to it or run away from it....I hunt a lot of agriculture/field areas so a decoy of some sort is a necessary thing.

I only use my full strut decoy after eyeballing a big bird in a field on a few occasions and kinda "pattern" him and know that he is definately coming to a particular field....then I slip in in the dark and set up the decoy very close to his preferred area and wait him out while calling and occasionally gobbling with a gobble tube. In this scenario he usually comes out with blood in his eyes and goes on attack mode the second he enters the area.

I think there is a time and place for them....just don't over use it as they will get spooky at the sight of the decoy and shy away from it...I only use mine once or twice a season if that.

My $.02...

it all depends.....
#1 mine works 90 % of the time.
#2 i have a pritty boy peepin tom ,but I have customized it with real wings
#3 the real fan and the wings help with realism , however the COLOR OF THE HEAD IS THE MOST IMPORTANT.....let me say that again...THE COLOR OF THE HEAD IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR.
I paint my gobblers head candy apple red all the way from the wattles up to around the eye. paint the ear holes greyish and the beak a dirty brown yellow, then paint the eyes. After ive done all this I tape up the ear holes, beek, eyes,....then I take a white latex spray paint and spray white just on the top of the head with a little white fading into the red.

the reason the color of the head is the most important is because that is how birds communicate through body language. if you go out the with the factory head then YES a good bit of subdominant birds will shy away from it ...wouldnt you if you got a 1.5'' spur slapped into your chest by KING KONG? Dominant birds have alot of white/sky blue in the head. If you want success use the RED/WHITE CAP ON TOP OF HEAD. This relays the message that your decoy is sub-dominant but thinking about anteing up. Hes just unsure. works on dominant birds and sub dominant birds.

hope this helps and good luck.
I take mine everytime I go. Dnt ever leave it @ the house