20 gauge questions

jimbar

I have a Remington 1100 20ga youth model. I would like to make a turkey gun out of it for my wife. It has an improved cylinder barrel that is not tapped for a choke and it will only shoot 2 3/4 shells. My questions are: Have any of you hunted with 2 3/4 inch shells? If so what shells and load did you use? Can I switch barrels to use 3 inch and a choke or is that determined by the action mechanism? Does anyone have a youth model with a pistol grip or a thumb hole stock that they might want to sell after the end of the season?

Last edited:

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
My guess is the action is short and wouldn't cycle a 3 inch shell properly even if you got another barrel. Maybe they make a barrel for screw in chokes where you could still use 2 3/4 shells. And on top of that I don't think a barrel for 3 inch shells would fit up in the action properly on a 2 3/4 gun. I have been wrong before.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
After looking on Cabela's, a Remington 1100 barrel with Remchoke threads is about 240 bucks. Buy a used turkey gun for that.

mossyoakpro

I agree...you can come close to buying a new 870 for what a barrel would cost for the 1100.

Keep that one for dove shooting and surprise her with a new gun!! Put a Knoxx stock on and you can both use it.

Tadder

20 ga.

My wife and kids have been using the youth 870's for a few yrs now. These guns are awsume turkey guns.We like the birds in as close as possable,but my son and wife both have taken birds at 45yds. We pat. these guns at that yds.and there deadly.:fine::fine:

jimbar

Thanks for the input. It's looking more and more like the youth model 870 is the way to go. I would like to get one all tricked out in camo with either a thumb hole stock or a pistol grip. Has any one seen one done like that? I looked at the Knoxx Stock web site but I could only find a camo stock for a 12 gauge and nothing for the forearm.

UserNameGoesHere

Check out oldgobbler.com, they have a 20ga section, lots of info.

Killdee

There was a youth 870 in the outdoor trader last week for $250, if I hadn't already bought 1 a few weeks ago I would have scarfed it up. The knox stocks are apparently getting hard to find, but the adjustable LOP would make it easy to convert for both of you to use. . I put a sureshot stock on mine a few weeks ago and really like it, only avail. in black for 20 gauge though. I just started hunting with a 21" 20 gauge 870 this year and I doubt I will ever carry a heavy 12 again.With the availabilbility of tungston factory and TSS handloads 20's have become very popular.Theres a good thread on here re camo skin kits for shoguns alot of guys on here are using also. I'm waiting till after season and getting mine drilled and tapped till I put mine on.

Heres the skin thread,

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=678083

Curtis-UGA

I switched to a 870 youth 20 gauge this year and my 12 gauge has become a safe queen. The weight, feel and performance are awesome. It will put 150 #7 Hevi 13 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yds. I have killed 2 birds with it. One was at 30 yds and the other at 40 yds. They were both DRT! I am really enjoying it!

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I have had a Mossy Super Bantam 20 for 4 years. My 12s are retired. It comes drilled and tapped for Weaver base. Synthetic stock, camo finish for about $325. 5.25 lbs out of the box. It'll take a slightly modified Knoxx (my 835's). However, the added weight of the Knoxx as opposed to original configuration was a no-go for me. Nothing wrong with the Youth 870, but the Super Bantam's standard features made it more appealing to me. YMMV.
It'll put 150 TSS9s in a 10" circle at 40 yards using a 2 3/4" 1 oz. load. With 1 5/8 oz. over 275 TSS9s in the 10" at 40 yards. At 40 yards, it ain't fair to a turkey.

Last edited:

icdedturkes

I would look to the Federal Heavyweight 2 3/4 1 1/8 oz load of 7s.. Most likely you will not have a forty yard gun, but this would be the best option IMO with your curtain situation.