My 2012 Turkey season

Arrow3

Time to say goodbye to my 2012 turkey season... I was hoping to see one more die and there's a slighty possibility of hunting Tuesday afternoon but I went ahead and said my goodbyes this morning leaving the woods...Got to say it was a great season....As y'all know I decided to retire my 12 guage and start turkey hunting with a 20 gauge...It was a great decision. I loved carrying the little light weight 20 guage and with the #7 federal heavyweights it was deadly. I didn't get to carry it much though, I was limited out by the second weekend of the season....I came really close to limiting out in 3 hunts...Opening morning I needed a gobbler to come 20 more yards but a hen led him away. I killed birds on the following two mornings....Then on Wednesday I did something that ive only done one other time turkey hunting...Missed a bird I called straight to the gun.. I struck him late in the morning and he walked right to me...Problem was there was a pine tree right in front of me and when he popped out right in my face I jerked the gun on him and fired...He left without a scratch... Thanks to all the ones who invited me to go this year. I enjoyed each and every hunt..:cheers: .I had some great hunts with great friends this year. Some worked out, some didn't but we had fun either way... 9 kills in all....3 misses and called in 2 longbeards for a bowhunter that couldnt get a shot .Either bird would have been killed easy with a gun.. Looking forward to next year...Hope y'all enjoy the pics of my season.

Bird #1
Wilkes County

Called this bird in through a fresh pine thinning...Watched him strut to my dsd from over 100 yards out....First bird with the new 20 gauge. 10 1/2 inch beard 3/4 spurs
IMAG0082-1.jpg

CIMG0636.jpg

Bird #2
Oglethorpe County

I had scouted this bird a few days before the season and he gobbled good but had a few hens on the roost with him...He was all alone on the 3rd day of the season ...He gobbled his brians out on the roost and strutted right off the limb to a load of #7s ..Double beard. 10 3/4 and 5 1/2.... 3/4 inch spurs

CIMG0638.jpg

CIMG0637.jpg

Bird #3
Franklin County

My favorite hunt of the year...It was my wife's first turkey hunt and I mashed a nice 3 year old! 10 1/2 inch beard 1 inch spurs

IMAG0087-1.jpg

CIMG0641.jpg

Bird #4
Oglethorpe County

Bowkill of the tamie turned wild..Heck of a hunt...Acted just like any wild bird ive ever killed...Strutted to my dsd ..I drew as he strutted by me...Shot him at 10 yards.

CIMG0654.jpg

CIMG0653.jpg

Bird #5
with Greg Tench

Me and Greg had one heck of a morning...We called in 7 different male birds this morning on 2 different properties...3 longbeards, 3 jakes, and one red head that was unidentified...4 year old ... 10+ beard and 1 1/4 spurs
CIMG0648.jpg

Bird #6
Greene County

Hunted with Trkyhnter70 (James)and his son Blane on redlands...After a long morning of hunting with no luck untill we struck a bunch of jakes and Blane busted one upside the head..:cheers:

IMAG0099.jpg

Bird #7
Oglethorpe County

Great hunt with my lifelong friend Haven....We heard a faint gobble off in the distance at flydown time and headed his way...By the time we got to him he was on the ground and had only gobbled a few times....He was a tight lipped bird and only answered Haven's cuts two times...I was sitting slightly to Haven's right when I seen the gobbler sliding up a logging road to my dsd after 30 minutes of silence...Haven wound up having to shoot him in full strut because we couldn't get him to drop it..2 year old with one strand on his beard hitting 12 inches.

CIMG0656-1.jpg

Bird #8
Jasper County

Wes Chester was having problems getting a gobbler into gun range. We met up at his house and headed out onto his property....Gobbling filled the air...Mostly jakes but one longbeard was tearing it up...We called the longbeard up but Wes couldnt get a shot...After a second set up we had 2 jakes come in and Wes killed his first turkey in years..

CIMG0660.jpg

Bird #9
Oconee County

Me, James, and Blane got together once again to try to fill each of their limits last weekend...This 3 year old showed his hand early and his roost site cost him his life..I firgured he would only possibily go 2 ways when he flew down....I sat with Blane and James sat 80 yards from us....As luck would have it the gobbler came right to the middle of both of us..James made a nice shot on his 3rd gobbler of the season...

CIMG0662.jpg

What a season...:flag:

Jody Hawk

Bird #5
with Greg Tench

Me and Greg had one heck of a morning...We called in 7 different male birds this morning on 2 different properties...3 longbeards, 3 jakes, and one red head that was unidentified...

....... and Crazy Steve!

Will-dawg

Awesome season for sure!!!! Congrats to you and all involved!!!!

GA DAWG

Nice job. I like that tame turkey best. He's a good looking rascal.

trkyhntr70

Crazy Steve!!! Dang it; I almost forgot that part:rofl::rofl:
Enjoyed sharin them hunts with ya Brandon! I'll say it again you need a video camera bud!

Last edited:

Greg Tench

Great season my friend for sure !! That morning of April 5 was one I wont forget. :cheers:Dont lose them feathers...I look forward to doing it again next season !!! @ Jody...We just encroached on ol crazy Steves strut zone and listened to him gobble a little.:D

harryrichdawg

Congrats on an awesome season. I didn't get to hunt nearly as much as I would have liked to this year. I only got to hunt 5 or 6 times, but I managed to limit out. I got 3 mature birds with 3 shots and could have killed several jakes.

antnye

Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

Arrow3

Great season my friend for sure !! That morning of April 5 was one I wont forget. :cheers:Dont lose them feathers...I look forward to doing it again next season !!! @ Jody...We just encroached on ol crazy Steves strut zone and listened to him gobble a little.:D

That was one heck of a morning my friend :cheers: