870 20ga problem

jimbar

I put a truglo SSX on my wife's 870 youth model. I shot 3 Federal HW #7's thru it. They patterned great but at 30 yards 90% of the shot was 3 inches left of center. I tried other shells with the same results. Is that something I can fix with a scope adjustment (red dot) or should I return the gun. Or what?

mossyoakpro

If you were planning on an optic anyway that will work....if not send it back to Remington.

By the way how was the pattern with the SSX?

jimbar

The pattern was great. It was just way right. I was so frustrated I didn't get a count inside a 10 circle. I'll probably do that tomorrow.

mossyoakpro

I have a 1187 20 ga project now and I am going with an 870 project next as a backup.

Is yours a Youth model with the 21" tube or a full size?

jimbar

Yep. Youth model 21 inch barrel

icdedturkes

3 Inches is well within in the adjustment range of any sighting device.. No need to get frustrated.. Get yourself some form of optic.. Or a good set of fiber optic rifle sights.

ridgestalker

X2 on what icedturkes said.Get you some fiber optics if on a budget or a nice dot scope if you got plenty to spend.I put the truglo ghost ring sights on mine to get the poa same as poi an love them after using them this year.Easy to line up an a all metal sight that dont cost a arm an a leg.

BASS1FUN

My mossberg 935 used to shoot 8-12 inches low but my red dot scope put a end to that nonsense, i put red dot scopes on all of my turkey guns they also help me to pick up on limbs when i'm in the woods

harryrichdawg

A good gunsmith like Curtis Wilbanks (GunDocc) can bend the barrel and put the center of the pattern right on target without any sites added.

Personally, I like scopes. I have a 1.75-4.5 Bushnell Trophy with the Turkey Plex reticle (circle in the center of the crosshairs) on my 870. If I put the circle on a gobbler's head and pull the trigger, he dies.

hawglips

Banned
3 of the 5 guns I use turkey hunting are off 6 to 8 inches from POA at 40 yds. I just use the beads or snap-on fiber optic sights. I just adjust my aim accordingly and pull the trigger.