The new Garmin

flhunter82

There it is boys the new garmin alpha, shocker and tracker. The collars last 48 hours and the handheld is rechargable with a 20 hour life span. They definetly didn't improve on pricing. 799 package doesnt sound too bad. 299 per new collar is outrageous. But it will hold 20 collars now.

flhunter82

By the way, If you bought the tracker and 19 more collars, you would be the first person to own a $6500 system

flhunter82

I'm sure it would still track the old collars. But the distance did not improve. Its still rated for 9 miles in open country, which is 1.5 miles in my woods

grouper throat

I hope someone reviews it quickly though. I am interested to know what that guy at gundogsupply.com says about it preferrably.

flhunter82

Just got confirmation, it is not compatible with the other collars or systems

cml32063

I would like to someone to review one that hunts like we do. I have really thought hard about buying the Astro 320/DC 40's and I know folks that have these and love them. The new Alpha seems like a step up in the technology. But I don't not need the shocker part of the system. From what I have read there is a blank off plate for the shocker part and it looks like the weight of the shocker keeps it on the bottom of the neck so the antenna is straight up for better communication. I still have the Wildlife Collars/Quick Track box and each passing day they are becoming more obsolete with the GPS system advances. So somebody go buy one and tell us the real deal!!:cool:

I would like to someone to review one that hunts like we do. I have really thought hard about buying the Astro 320/DC 40's and I know folks that have these and love them. The new Alpha seems like a step up in the technology. But I don't not need the shocker part of the system. From what I have read there is a blank off plate for the shocker part and it looks like the weight of the shocker keeps it on the bottom of the neck so the antenna is straight up for better communication. I still have the Wildlife Collars/Quick Track box and each passing day they are becoming more obsolete with the GPS system advances. So somebody go buy one and tell us the real deal!!:cool:

Even with gps I won't run mine without beeper collars.

firefightermpc

I know gps collars are awesome, but you can't beat a regular tracking collar as far as it goes with keeping up with your hounds over a long distance. I run both, but enjoy the gps collars during training season. You just dump the box and watch them on the hand held and when your ready to go just go pick them up. During the regular season I like tracking collars. I like to cut the deer off the old fashion way, no tracking evolved. I know some people will disagree with this, but that's half the fun in the sport. Whether your cutting off a spike or a ten point without using the tracking stuff is where it's at for me. The reason we run tracking collars is for the location the dogs if you lose them. there's nothing wrong with doing it either way, but in the end the results the same. Dead deer on the box!

flhunter82

That gps has hurt me twice. I have been on the crossing, I knew he was gonna cross there. But the garmin said he was fixin to hit the road about 300 yards down. I took off running and got about 150 yards and he had turned and ran down the side of the road and came out on the crossing. I looked back just in time to watch him cross.

molly

Got em Coming

I ordered the new Alfa 100 should have it tomorrow (Fri.). I currently use the 220 with 140 collars and it is hard to beat....but I use the shock collar also...with the new Garmin I will only have to use one collar....and from what I`m told with the shock collar will work a mile or as long as you have communitcation with dog....If the new Alfa works as good as they say it does....I will be selling my two 220 hand helds with chip (topo maps 50 states) and all four of my 140s....which 2 of them has never been put on dog. I like the fact I wouldn`t have to use two collars. I have to keep my dog off the roads. Will let ya`ll know in a week wheather they re what they say they are.

Nannyman

Have no Idea how we ran without Tracking collars before, but I am willing to find out. Many of the people I know pull the thing out 5Min. after they dump their dogs. I like the GPS collars and will keep using them. I will never use a shocker for dogs in the woods. For barking in the box yes, in the woods no. Spend time with your dog and it will stop when you ask. If it wont you didnt do your job. Not 100% of the time but enough that you dont need a shocker.

John

molly

Have no Idea how we ran without Tracking collars before, but I am willing to find out. Many of the people I know pull the thing out 5Min. after they dump their dogs. I like the GPS collars and will keep using them. I will never use a shocker for dogs in the woods. For barking in the box yes, in the woods no. Spend time with your dog and it will stop when you ask. If it wont you didnt do your job. Not 100% of the time but enough that you dont need a shocker.

John
When my dogs were pups I trained em to come when I tone (Buzz) them.....when I am tracking a wounded deer and lets say my dog is 500 yds from me and he gets 150 yds from a road ... I Buzz him and he will come back ...I also use a whisel so he can find me. Also I use the Buzz to keep em from getting to close to a wounded deer....I hardly ever have to shock one of my dogs...I trained em from pups. The garmin is the real deal for tracking wounded deer....marking blood, shot site etc. I have used it a many of time to mark where I found a good place to cross a creek.....

Davexx1

Many or most dog hunters I know don't want a combo tracking/shocking system. Most would have preferred a better and improved tracking system, better battery life, longer range, and obviously a lower cost than the Alpha system. Garmin should have just improved/perfected what they had.

In my opinion a shock collar training system is a very specific tool designed for specific, but limited use. I don't think a shock collar system should have been combined with the tracking system on the same collar. What happens to the dog if the shock system goes haywire??

Dave

Nannyman

When my dogs were pups I trained em to come when I tone (Buzz) them.....when I am tracking a wounded deer and lets say my dog is 500 yds from me and he gets 150 yds from a road ... I Buzz him and he will come back ...I also use a whisel so he can find me. Also I use the Buzz to keep em from getting to close to a wounded deer....I hardly ever have to shock one of my dogs...I trained em from pups. The garmin is the real deal for tracking wounded deer....marking blood, shot site etc. I have used it a many of time to mark where I found a good place to cross a creek.....

I can agree with that.