Pumpkins taking over the world

dick7.62

This year I planted some Orange Bulldog pumpkins(my second year of planting them). Last year they looked like normal pumpkins, leaves about 2' high. This year they went wild with the tallest leaves 48" above ground. The only difference between this year and last is I subsoiled the ground this spring. I also limed last spring and it had not had time to fully work last year. I marked and measured some vines and they grew 18" in 24 hours. They are also loading up with pumpkins.
This is not my best soil but it has grown my best garden ever. Everything else has grown wildly and produced a lot.
I rotated my garden from what I thought was better soil.
The pictures below show the pumpkin vines. My grandson Hayden and the 55 gallon drum are in the picture for size reference. The drum is 34" tall and Hayden about 48".
Maybe Jack should have planted Orange Bulldog pumpkins instead magic bean stalks.

Attachments

• pumpkins 005.jpg
    pumpkins 005.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 361
  • pumpkins 009.jpg
    pumpkins 009.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
holy cow...

dick7.62

Did you put down a lot of nitrogen fertilizer?
No. A small amount of ammonium nitrate when the plants were very small. Otherwise 10-10-10 was all i used. I did have a winter cover crop of hairy vetch, crimson clover and winter weeds which was mowed and harrowed in. I had Irish potatos there first and after they were dug I planted the pumpkins.They are not just vines, they are putting on dozens, maybe hundreds of pumpkins.