Severe Cracking skin on feet

hiawassee1

My 6 yr old has been dealing with this for a few months, doctor gave some sort of steroid cream, but hasnt seemed to help, guess we are going to have to try a Dermatologist.

Any ideas on what is causing this?

And some help on how to clear it up?? he has a few severe cracks that are painful.

J.R.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
There is somekind of cream that is for cracked skin, supposed to be real good and they sell it at tractor supply.

35 Whelen

Same problem since I was a kid, and I am now 58. I remember my mom putting Vaseline jelly on my feet and white cotton socks before bedtime. I have tried all kinds of products with limited success. Also my hands have the same problem and it seems to be worse in the winter. Hope the doctors can help your young one.

packrat

I used to have the ends of my fingers do the same thing.
Best thing I found was Corn Huskers Lotion.

Attachments

• corn.jpg
    corn.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 13,926

HALOJmpr

That scaling can actually be the early stages of a fungal infection. They will give you a fungal topical creme if it is. Hopefully you can stop it before it progresses. Go see the dermatologist for sure!

Amend2nd

I had the same problem(or similar to it) about a year ago. I have had athelete's foot and just plain old unexplained dried cracked feet.

"Bag Balm" purchased at Tractor Supply worked well and cleared the problem up in about 4 days for just cracked dry skin on the feet.

Apply at night before bed and wear socks. The balm is thick.

I also applied Watkins "Carbo Salve" linament. The can I had was about 50 yeras old... but still worked.

Any and all of these products may be available in a drug store near you... if not purchase over the Inet.

If athelete's foot/ringworm is contracted... a product named "Blistosol" works wonders(again cures most problems in about 4 to 5 days) and may be purchased in a local drug store if they carry it. Apllying Blistosol cures athelet's foot/ringworm if that is the problem, and if not... no harm done.

Research "ringworm" and it's symptoms on the net. Sometimes the feet don't show the charateristic "ringed pattern" common in the more sensative skin areas of the body.

Powder shoes with a good medicated foot powder to keep them dry.

georgiabound

I had severe athlete's fee when I was a kid. I tried just about everthing available, (in the 60's) but the only thing that helped me was Absorbine Jr. If there are open cracks, the kind that bleed, then it will burn like the dickens for the first two applications. I also use it for insect bites, sore muscles, etc. Wonderful stuff!!

cyoung

Soak in apple cider vinegar. Sounds like a fungal infection. Apple cider vinegar works better than any fungal creams.

Pat Tria

Wear shoes at all times. Liberally apply liquid Vitamin E at bedtime and you'll see a difference in the morning.

Michael F. Gray

Does your son have juvenile diabetes? Many of the above answers are good for drying skin. Diabetics often experiance cracking skin, and it's what leads them to a physician and results in the diagnosis. I am prescribed UREA cream for the condition. It's expensive, but it works. This condition in diabetics is far more serious than typical dry skin. It can result in lost toes if not treated. Good Luck.

Luke0927

There is somekind of cream that is for cracked skin, supposed to be real good and they sell it at tractor supply.

outdoor hands works real well

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
This stuff is without a doubt the best stuff ever created for foot care. I find it sometimes at Walmart, but you can get it in larger sizes and better prices online.

http://www.miraclefootrepair.com/

hiawassee1

I ordered some O'keefes online friday, hopefully be here soon, but we have been putting some thick moisturizing cream we had on there, seems to be helping, just wondering is this going to be an ongoing situation? He never really had a problem with it until this past spring.

hiawassee1

I ordered some O'keefes online friday, hopefully be here soon, but we have been putting some thick moisturizing cream we had on there, seems to be helping, just wondering is this going to be an ongoing situation? He never really had a problem with it until this past spring.

SarahFair

I read that flip-flops and crocs can really crack heels too!

SonyaS

He never really had a problem with it until this past spring.

Maybe he did pick up some type of fungus. If you have a black light see if it glows, won't always glow but often it will. As others have said, sandals often cause thick/dry heels and callouses and allow exposure to fungus. Ditch the sandals, keep him in clean dry white socks and regular closed shoes when he runs around outside.