Truck ?

quinn

I got down to hunt camp to do some things to get ready. I go to put my chevy 1500 k in park and the gear shifter moves very freely but the gear indictor does not move and it stays in drive. Is there a cable or something that has come loose? I'm driving home because when i shut the truck off it's not going to start back up in gear.anybody know the answer?

GoldDot40

On the driver's side of the transmission is where the gear selector lever is. Some are equipped with a cable, others with a rod. There's a nut that holds the lever to the transmission. Check to see if the cable/rod has come loose, broken, etc.

But you're right, if you can't select Park or Neutral, you won't be able to start it.

quinn

Ok i made it home, thanks the lever is right where you said. There is a clip that has come off.i put the truck in park and put the clip back on. The clip doesn't have a grip on the stud and it's easily pulled off.can i just replace the clip?

GoldDot40

Ok i made it home, thanks the lever is right where you said. There is a clip that has come off.i put the truck in park and put the clip back on. The clip doesn't have a grip on the stud and it's easily pulled off.can i just replace the clip?
Should be able to buy a new clip. Not sure if a parts store would have it......but it'd be worth asking. Might be a dealership part. Could you bend the clip in such a way that it would hold better?

quinn

Thanks I might try to do that tomorrow.It's plastic so if i bend it much,i'll for sure need a new one!

zedex

Gator Bait
On newer model trucks the shifter is connected to a plastic housing that shows the gear selected. If it is one of the lighted type {highlights current gear}, the plastic part must be replaced. Each new compnent has a particular instruction sheet- follow it. If you fail to follow the instructions, the mechanical change will still happen, but the position sensor will not read correctly and can prevent starting as it will not override the safety switch.

Latest posts