New Computer

Big Andy

I am looking for a new computer for my home and business any recommendations? Dell or Hp...who has the best deal on them right now. I have not purchased a new one in several years do not know what to look for or what is out there. Any help would be great. Thank you.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I've bought several from Dell, and found some really good deals on the Dell Outlet...scratch & dents, returns, etc. I always check the outlet before I buy one directly from their website. From the dell.com page, go to the search bar and type in "dell outlet".

Also, if you have any american express points, you can get up to a $300 gift certificate you can use at dell, which give you a big discount.

I've never owned an HP, but have owned several dells at both home and office, and always bought dells at work for employees. Good luck.

GoldDot40

Bought my last 2 desk top PCs directly from Dell. The one I have now was on sale for $300 and it's pretty sweet. I bought the Dell 19" monitor a while later.....on sale for $130. Look on their website. Since schools are just now getting back in the swing, I'd bet there's some good deals out there. Also check tigerdirect.com and even Wal-Mart.

georgia_home

Either will be ok, but I own about 7 dell's, or have over time.

Hp's / compaq : 2.

Both have brands have worked well.

More importantly, identify the features you want:

IMHO, get an 8 core processor. Yes 8 core. Intel i7 or amd 8 core equal. Don't skimp on this.

DVD, graphics card (on board or dedicated is important) and video memory.

Lots of memory. FAST sata drive especially for the primary drive.

Good luck.

merc123

Go to both HP and Dell website. Look at comparable models, see which one has the better deal and buy.

NOYDB

BANNED
Ditto on the memory. Buy as much memory as the machine will hold. Both on the system board and the video card. Somewhere there is a programmer with a state of the art supercomputer on his desk who thinks every one has equipment like his and is writing software to use it all.

Allocate as much as you can towards the monitor. You can have the hottest machine made (at the moment) but what you look at is what affects your usage and enjoyment.

Amend2nd

Tiger Direct has computers(new and lease returns that have been refurbished).

I bought an excellent laptop for $289.00 that was a lease return and use it without worries. It is far more than I expected.

I have owned 4 Dells purchased new. The last one crashed hard(motherboard) 2 days prior to warranty expiring(which they made good on with a month of coordination between me-Dell-and their local repairman.

Conclusion: All computers are basically equal using similar components for thr category you purchase. If the stats were accurate I would be there is no guarantee that one is any better than another. You get what you pay for.

My next one will be self built. No proprietary restrictions and if a part breaks.. I pull it and either replace or upgrade then.

You could probably find a high school class or have a "geek" in your family that would assemble the top of theline components and have it working in about a day.(I built one in 1999 and I am not a geek).

Your investment up front will be slightly more than a "out of box" but you will have a choice of components and the flexibilty to upgrade without having to buy a whole new unit.

BreamReaper

Ive heard Toshiba is good and has great customer service, HHGregg or Bestbuy has god in store prices usually

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I went to Vision Computers with my last one. They have a 3 year warranty and on site service. 15 second hold time for a tech. They custom build, so you might pay a little more, but you won't have to spend 5 or 6 hours updating windows when you plug it in. And it won't have all that trash software where someone gives you a 90 day trial and then you have a devil of a time uninstalling it when you don't want it.

merc123

One more thing about the memory. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy the laptop with 2 GB of memory and simply buy the RAM separate. That's what we're doing at work with some of our desktops. We save about $70 doing it this way. RAM isn't hard to put in either.