Etching Machine

MoblMec

Hi Guys
Well I found a used 12" contact wheel for a great price!!!:banana::banana::banana:
Now I am looking for a Etching machine to put my makers mark on my knives.
Dose anyone have a good used one they would let go of???
Thanks
MoblMec

John I. Shore

I have two Marking Methods Model 300, don't need but one now. Let me get back to the shop and I'll drop you a PM when I get there, (couple days).

Glad you found a wheel.

John I.

Anvil Head

If John can't find his, you might check Bladeforums for the "Sticky" on how to build your own out of a cheap HF battery charger. Pretty simple setup Stephan Fowler built one as a demo at one of the Guild meetings a while back (or you could just contact him).

arcame

cool info Carl, thanks, we were in the market also but now we are going to build one.

John I. Shore

Yep u can build a good one cheaper than buying one of the brand names. I know many makers around the world that made their own. Just need to be smarter than a 2nd grader.

John I. (Stranded somewhere on planet earth at some airport waiting for a flight)

Last edited:

RLo

I built mine about 12yrs. ago from the plans found on KnifeNetwork through Chris Crawford. All parts came from the local Radio Shack and cost about $50. Never have liked fooling with electricity, so was sweating BB's when ready to try it, but worked like a charm and still going strong. I'd be glad to bring them to Track Rock, Patrick, and we can make copies or I can find a way to make available here. The stencils come from IMG, Int. 315-735-7591. Very good people to work with on initial layout and when ordering more material. Last time I ordered stencils, the lady asked if something was wrong with the last ones I had ordered because it seemed quick to order back. It had been 3yrs. and a ton of knives, so nothing wrong. Just good customer service. I get around 20 knives for the life of each stencil.

Nastytater

Banned
Yep u can build a good one cheaper than buying one of the brand names. I know many makers around the world that made their own. Just need to be smarter than a 2nd grader.

John I. (Stranded somewhere on planet earth at some airport waiting for a flight)

Guess that leaves me out. :rofl:

Anvil Head

I think the one Stephan made was with a cheap fly weight battery charger that he got at HF for around $12. Was an extremely simple setup. If I was inclined to etch my mark it's the route I'd take (being an on the cheap kinda guy). I imagine the initial stencil desgn/cut would be the higher expense.

OconeeDan

Ernie Gospich makes good stencils, for a reasonable price.
The home made cheap etchers will work fine.
Dan

Razor Blade

I built mine about 12yrs. ago from the plans found on KnifeNetwork through Chris Crawford. All parts came from the local Radio Shack and cost about $50. Never have liked fooling with electricity, so was sweating BB's when ready to try it, but worked like a charm and still going strong. I'd be glad to bring them to Track Rock, Patrick, and we can make copies or I can find a way to make available here. The stencils come from IMG, Int. 315-735-7591. Very good people to work with on initial layout and when ordering more material. Last time I ordered stencils, the lady asked if something was wrong with the last ones I had ordered because it seemed quick to order back. It had been 3yrs. and a ton of knives, so nothing wrong. Just good customer service. I get around 20 knives for the life of each stencil.

Yes , those do work well Rick . I made one from those plans 5-6 years ago , and its still my go to etching machine. I do keep a factory one that i bought many years ago just for back up, and use it now and again .

Scott