Food Plot Help-Northeast Alabama

I have bought 10 (1/2 acre) bags of biologic "outfitter's blend" to plant several food plots with. Each plot will probably be one acre in size. I have not soil tested or limed. I'm trying to decide what steps I should take to make my planting as successful as possible considering these important steps I have skipped. Should I use one of those instant soil samplers, lime as needed, and then wait a week or so before planting? Can you lime directly before or after seeding while the ground is tilled or will that effect the seed? I have the seed and plan to use it this year but just would like to know my best options at this point. Does anyone have an rough estimate of how much and the best lime to use for my area? I will be planting in Jackson county (northeast) Alabama and Hamilton county (southeast) TN. Thanks in advance for any advice. I'm new to planting.

MOUNTAINZ2

Hey there if you just have tons of money then lime and fertlizer. 1 ton of lime per acre. And 300 pounds of fertlizer per acre. But the best steps to take is get your plowing done then get seed in ground now here is the key pant clover on plots this gives you te same affect as fertlizer then put some lime if you can buy it. But wait intell your other seed germ then put clover down about first of oct. You will be fine. you will here all kins of different ways but i been doing food plots for years and talk and learnd from wildlife pro.

Lukikus2

I'm jealous. I love hunting that mountain range. Good luck. All I ever did was throw it out and till under where the dove would't eat it all. It'll grow.

win280

Get a soil test done.No need putting out to little or to much lime /fert with the prices these days.This usually takes about 2 weeks with the extension service.Whitetail institute does it also.
Once you know your lime fert requirements,I would spread the lime/fert and then harrow asap for best results.
Smooth food plot with a drag and then plant your seed.
Cerial grains need to be 1/2- 1" deep and brassicas and clover no more than 1/8".
Without a soil test I would guess you would need 1-2 tons per acre of lime.
Without a soil test I would put out 400 lbs 13-13-13 per acre or
300 lbs 19-19-19.
With a soil test you might not need but 1 ton of lime and a 0-20-20 fertilizer. That is why you will here most everyone with experience saying to get a soil test. Otherwise you and everyone here is guessing the requirements with your money.JMO

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
^^^^^^^^ Listen to Win280 ....... You don't know what you don't know, right now. We have all been there! Take the time and do it right and it will pay dividends later!

Thanks for the advice. The lime will not effect the seed if it is put down at the same time? Also, I have always heard that you need to lime months in advance or else it's not going to affect your planting. What's the thoughts on that?

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
The best time to lime was 6 months ago, but you will not hurt anything at all by putting it down with your seed. If you get it down now (in the right quantity), then next year, you will have perfect plots. AG lime will continue changing the soil for 3 years or so, pelletized lime, not quite as long, but all will do your soil good! What that means, if you lime properly now, you won't need to lime for a few years.

If you would've gone with plain wheat/oats/cereal rye and clover, the lack of lime would have less of an affect on those seeds. They can tolerate a more acidic soil, so those seeds in your "outfitters blend" should do ok. The other seeds, maybe not so much.

Lime is poor man fertilizer. It neutralizes the soil, to allow the roots of the plants, to pull the nutrients out of the soil, to give to your herd.

win280

The best time to lime was 6 months ago, but you will not hurt anything at all by putting it down with your seed. If you get it down now (in the right quantity), then next year, you will have perfect plots. AG lime will continue changing the soil for 3 years or so, pelletized lime, not quite as long, but all will do your soil good! What that means, if you lime properly now, you won't need to lime for a few years.

If you would've gone with plain wheat/oats/cereal rye and clover, the lack of lime would have less of an affect on those seeds. They can tolerate a more acidic soil, so those seeds in your "outfitters blend" should do ok. The other seeds, maybe not so much.

Lime is poor man fertilizer. It neutralizes the soil, to allow the roots of the plants, to pull the nutrients out of the soil, to give to your herd.

I fully agree with this^^^^^^^^