PlotSpike Updated Question

hiawassee1

Anyone ever tried it? Just looking to mess around with it, dont have a food plot area, really just going to put it around the house,NE Ga Mtns, and see what comes up, just something cheap to see what happens with it. Was going to buy a bag from Sams the last time I was down that way but they didnt have any.

Last edited:

HBC4570

i bought a bag of it from tsc and planted it 2 weeks ago but haven't
had a chance to get down to our lease yet.will try to get down
some time this coming week.i'll let you know what i find.

Fireump

I planted some last year in middle ga., with lime and triple 10 and it did great...best looking plot the club had UNTIL the hogs found it....has lots of greens in it...planning on using it again this year.

georgiaoutdoorsman

064.jpg
plot spike forage feast

071.jpg
1 bag plot spike oats with one bag of plot spike forage feast
just tryin it this year to see how it does. this is 14 days after planting.

Inthegarge

Planted some in a small foodplot 2 weeks ago. About 10" tall and coming in strong...1st year forthis plot..

hiawassee1

finally got a chance to run over there and bought a bag sat. Had a chance to plant a few little spots yesterday at the house, cause this rain is suppose to come, wore out from this sinus cold, so I didnt get to do more. I will keep ya updated. Didnt fertilize yet, gonna wait til it grows for a week or so, if it doesnt get washed out from all the rain coming. Got 2 more smaller spots I want to try, and then I will plant the rest over at pops garden to see what it does over there.

hiawassee1

Like it Gaoutdoorsman, wish I had an area clear enough at my house to plant like that 2nd pic. Got some real good rain late yesterday thru the night, and still now, so hopefully will be up by the weekend. I have an area that I have cleared over the years on the side of a ridge, but too many stumps and roots to plow up, would be awesome to plant though.

georgiaoutdoorsman

Had a bulldozer clear that one about 15 years ago has been worth it been thinking about making it a little larger.We have had plenty of rain so the fertilizer I put put this past sunday should give it a little boost.Just thought we would give PlotSpike a try just for an experiment.

hiawassee1

poking up late last week and looking good by this morning, will fertilize whenever the next rain is suppose to hit, and hopefully the deer like it.

hiawassee1

the 2 I planted near the house look great, and fertilized yesterday afternoon with 10-10-10.
My question is, I planted another small plot sat morn at the top of a ridge, how long do I have to wait to fertilize? I dont think I can tonight cause its to early, but thought I would ask. But we are getting rain now, and suppose to through tomorrow, so was hoping to get some on while its raining, just not sure when the rain will return

hunter eric

watched one nibble at it this morning but nothing hard yet.

I have not hunted mine yet. I will be at our cabin in Blue Ridge this weekend so I will not get to hunt it still.
I may slip off behind the cabin and hunt for a bit.

I may stay away from this plot until gun season and take my son to hunt it.

Attachments

• IMG00248-20120929-1032.jpg
    IMG00248-20120929-1032.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 1,587

hiawassee1

I'll take some pics of my mini plots this weekend.

My question, 30% chance of rain sat eve, and sunday, thinking bout putting some 10-10-10 on the third plot(plated last sat) sat afternoon, if it doesnt rain will that kill it? or should I wait till it starts and then throw it down?

win280

Its best to fert when you plant ,However anytime you fert on top of the ground the fert will lose some effectiveness . With the cooler temps you should be fine to fert with 10-10-10-

hiawassee1

well this spot here was just kinda test spot, was not able to disk up, break up ground, whatever you want to call it, had some seed so i raked up all the needles and leaves broke up the dirt best i could with a 4 prong hard rake, and threw some seed on it, and covered it back up a little, just to see how it would come out. gonna check on it tomorrow, so will take some fert up there and toss it out. Hung a loc on up there for a place to sit at home after work, probably wont shoot anything off of it.

hiawassee1

my pics

never killed one on my 3.5 acres here at the house, the neighbors have killed a couple nice ones up there.

The first 2 pics are right behind the house. Planted 20 days ago.

The 2nd 2 are the small plot at the top of the ridge, 1 from the ground, and 1 from the loc on I threw up there mainly to sit and watch. It was planted last sat. Jumped at least 2 out of there this morning, that looked like they were bedded down in it. Went to take pics, fert, and put another step to make it easier to get out.

Attachments

• plots 001.jpg
    plots 001.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 1,491
  • plots 002.jpg
    plots 002.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 1,617
  • plots 003.jpg
    plots 003.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 1,485
  • plots 004.jpg
    plots 004.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 1,494

hiawassee1

plots behind the house, are probably a 150 yrds to the right of the last 2 pics, trails all over the place up there. Last of the corn, but probably wont hunt here til nov. and as you can tell it is thick with mountain laurel on both sides of the ridge.

1st 2 pics are the same area as the spike in my avatar, that I have cleared over the past years.