How much seed do I need?

Cropslx

I plan on planting a .2 acre plot this weekend in SC. I was going to plant a mix of oats, wheat, crimson clover, rye (grain), chicory.

How much would I need of each to plant this size plot? Should I do a different mix?

Thanks in advance for ANY help!!

dick7.62

I plan on planting a .2 acre plot this weekend in SC. I was going to plant a mix of oats, wheat, crimson clover, rye (grain), chicory.

How much would I need of each to plant this size plot? Should I do a different mix?

Thanks in advance for ANY help!!

Taking the UGA lbs. per acre list and and other sources and figuring for .2 acres I come up with this.
oats 12-18 lbs.
wheat 12-18 lbs.
rye 12-18 lbs.
crimsom clover 4-6 lbs.
chicory 1 lb.

I use a mixture very close to these figures.
That is a good mix.

Cropslx

Thanks!! If you went with the high number of lbs per acre...what would the typical cost be?

Thanks again for your help!!

asimm85

Gone but not forgotten.
too much seed for .2 acres it is recommended to only plant a max of 50 lbs per acre of small grains with a mix like that I would plant 5 lbs of one of the cereal grains and 5 lbs of another as well as 2 lbs of crimson clover and 1/2 lbs of chicory. And fertilize at 60 lbs of 10-10-10. Have doen a soil test recently and applied any lime?? Is this a shaded plot or does it recieve sunlight most of the day?

asimm85

Gone but not forgotten.
i would probably plant a different mix though on a plot that small it is not easy to get a tractor in there to turn the soil so I would make it a perennial plot. I would do 1 lb durana, 1.25 lbs red clover I prefer bulldog red brand and 10 lbs wheat. With the same amount of fertilizer

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
You will do best to buy a mixture already done. You probably wont be able to buy less than 50 lb. each of the wheat, oats, or rye. The others should be available as a per pound purchase.

dick7.62

too much seed for .2 acres it is recommended to only plant a max of 50 lbs per acre of small grains with a mix like that I would plant 5 lbs of one of the cereal grains and 5 lbs of another as well as 2 lbs of crimson clover and 1/2 lbs of chicory. And fertilize at 60 lbs of 10-10-10. Have doen a soil test recently and applied any lime?? Is this a shaded plot or does it recieve sunlight most of the day?

I got my figures from UGA articles:http://www.caes.uga.edu/commodities/fieldcrops/forages/species.html
I guess UGA and me are putting too much.
.2 acre = 1/5 acre app 93' X 93' if square

Cropslx

We have already already tilled and roundup. After we bow hunt opening day this Sat we (buddy and I) are going to run over with the 4wheeler and then spread seed and fertilizer. Then run over again with 4wheeler.

It is easy to get equipment in there. We might make the plot bigger next year. This is our first plot and didn't know how long it would take to till and how it would do growing.

Thanks for the replies fellas!!! Any more advice?

asimm85

Gone but not forgotten.
If you plant each as in their own .2 acre plot it would be close to right I've git my degree in forestry and wildlife management from uga and food plots are what I love to do I would suggest buying qdma's quality food plots it will give anyone novice or pro food plotters good tips