Fertilizer question?

Hit-n-Miss

Can you put it out after you plant? Before or after it sprouts? I'm out of money after buying seeds and wondering if it would be benficial to put on later when I can afford to. Thanks

win280

Although it is best to fertilizer and turn the fert. into the ground .You can fert anytime the plants are germinating/growing

Deernut3

I prefer to wait until later like mid to late november when they're hitting the plots hard to fertilize. I greens them up and gives them a growth boost when the cold weather has them growing pretty slow.

Forest Grump

Although it is best to fertilizer and turn the fert. into the ground .You can fert anytime the plants are germinating/growing

This ^^^^.

N will percolate through your soil, but P & K don't move downward much. One of the most critical times for your plants to have fertilizer is during establishment, when their root system is tiny yet they are growing fast on reserves from the seed. In the future, mix it into the soil in the root zone either at planting or not long before. For now, apply fertilizer when moderate rainfall is imminent. (you don't want a gully-washing hurricane rain, nor a sprinkle that's not enough to dissolve it, & if it sits on your plants, the N will burn them)

7mm-08cobb

In the future you need to adjust the pH. Lime is $4/bag. Fertilizer is $14-16/bag. Ph needs to be around 6. See attachment. The lime will increase the pH. At around 6 you will better utilize the fertilizer.

Attachments

• Soil-pH_svg.png
    Soil-pH_svg.png
    67.6 KB · Views: 414
Last edited:

gdaagent

I always lime and fertilize first. Turn it over and let it sit thru a couple of rains. Then go in and turn it over again and spread seed. According to what I plant is whether I disc it in or roll it. Fertilize again after it sprouts just before the next rain. Sad thing now is that I missed the rain that just came thru and its sprouting.