Winter rye

Gamecock Fan

I would not recommend Rye Grass seed, not much nutrition for the deer. If you meant Rye grain then that is a different story and I would go with it but consider a mix of rye grain, wheat and oats.

dunn1970

I am going to plant Wrens Abruzzi Rye. That is your best bet. It is reasonable in price and the deer will use it when it get cold.

rcf1968

Thanks for all the input and it winter rye not rye grass. Was planning on planting next week. Bout how long does it need to come up?

drawedback

Wrenns Abruzzi rye will work just fine, I would not plant Ryman or Elbon rye, They just don't attract deer like Abruzzi. If you have sufficiant moisture in the ground it will come up in a matter of days. I too like to plant a mixture, but have planted rye by itself with good results in the past.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
With moisture in the ground, you should be able to see it a week after planting.

Killdee

The product sweet spot is a rye grass,not grain that has high sugar rates and is said to be a good deer draw but its expensive. They often put rye grass in throw and grow type mixs cause it will grow on concrete. Like the others said abruzzi.