Need Suggestions for a plot that wont attract hogs.

jmoughton

I have two smaller food plot that I'm gonna be planting next week, and I need suggestions on what seeds to use. My club is over run with hogs this year, and any feed that you put in for deer the hogs take over, and the deer go bye bye. I have one plot that is 100yards long x 10yards wide, and one that is 150yards x 10yards wide. I'm wanting to plant something that will draw in deer good for the rest of the season (without them wiping it out over night), but not draw in the hogs so much. Does anyone have suggestions for the perfect food plot?????? Thanks.

bandit819

I use a mix of oats, ic peas, crimson clover and purple top turnips. Can also throw in wheat if you want. I have pigs on my lease and they don't seem to mess up my plots with this mix. They do occasionally hit the turnips but usually not until late winter. If pigs are a problem you can train them to stay out of your plots by shooting every pig that sticks its nose out of the woods and by putting out a feeder somewhere near where they like and feed them there. As long as they have an easy meal they will stay near the feeder

jmoughton

I would love to shoot the hogs, but they are all nocturnal. We have started to trap them now, but there is a bunch of them. I thought the pigs would jump all over the peas???? Is the clover and weat very good at attracting the deer???

win280

I would love to shoot the hogs, but they are all nocturnal. We have started to trap them now, but there is a bunch of them. I thought the pigs would jump all over the peas???? Is the clover and weat very good at attracting the deer???
Very good deer attractent.

dick7.62

Shoot the hogs at night. Clover and wheat is about the best simple food plot for deer.

bandit819

We shoot ours at night. It makes a great reason to go to the lease in the off season. Its cooler and seems to train the pigs not to mess with the plots. Never had a problem with pigs eating the peas, turkeys are another issue. We shoot them with sling shots to keep them out the peas during the season.

bowandgun

Whatever you do do not plant peas, the hogs will dig up the whole plot to get to them. We plant abruzzi rye, oats and crimson clover. they did not dig them up this year. One year we planted turnips and they destroyted the plot after the first freeze.